Senior Decarbonization Policy Expert and Advisor
Washington, Dist. Columbia 20001, United States
Type of Job
Commensurate with experience
Jul 18, 2023
About the job
The Energy Modernization Project
The Energy Modernization Project is new initiative that aims to secure decarbonization policies to advance clean energy technologies and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. The project’s work will center on policies that accelerate the transition to electric vehicles, deploy offshore wind energy production, and modernize electricity grids to increase their capacity to deploy new renewable energy resources.
The senior officer, clean grid and energy, will serve as a lead expert on decarbonization. The senior officer is responsible for overseeing research on the economic and social impacts of carbon reduction policies, and serves as a subject matter expert to internal and external stakeholders including with government, industry and stakeholders. Reporting to the Director, the senior officer works with colleagues to develop and manage a broad array of research projects, collaborates on research design with external contractors and grantees, and informs clean power and transportation regulatory development and strategy.
The position is based in Washington, D.C. and is eligible for up to 60% telework from home, however other locations and/or remote work in the U.S. may be considered. Candidates must be presently legally authorized to work in the country for which they are seeking employment without the need of visa sponsorship.
- Foster a work environment that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible and in line with Pew and the project’s related goals.
- Maintain wide-ranging knowledge of pertinent research and regulatory developments and in-depth understanding of the decarbonization space.
- Maintain wide-ranging knowledge of pertinent research and in-depth understanding of the decarbonization space.
- Lead regulatory engagement with key federal agencies such as FERC, BOEM and DOE. Develop recommendations and write comments for federal and state regulatory reforms.
- Provide technical expertise to external stakeholders and state and federal government officials through written or oral testimony, research, white papers, or other convenings.
- Manage a portfolio of research projects by collaborating on research design, tracking project deliverables and deadlines, ensuring coordination of activities with colleagues, and identifying emerging communications opportunities as needed.
- Represent the project with external stakeholders at conferences and other expert opportunities and with national and state media.
- Identify research gaps and needs in targeted states related to the economic and social impact of decarbonization policies.
- Deep knowledge and experience working in the decarbonization regulatory, research or policy space. Preferred experience with offshore wind, transmission and/or electrification.
- Applies effective qualitative analytical skills to synthesize large amounts of information quickly and summarize findings effectively, identify gaps in research and policy analysis, and develop ideas for research products that generate broad interest.
- Deep knowledge and experience working in the decarbonization research or policy space.
- Skilled at informing and influencing internal and external audiences through written and oral communications.
- Aptitude to apply a non-partisan, evidence-based approach to projects and campaigns that require support across the political spectrum.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills applied to climate mitigation and decarbonization issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Ten years of applicable experience.
Key attributes and preferred experience
- Naturally develops and manages productive and collaborative relationships.
- Comfortable managing and meeting multiple deadlines and balancing multiple projects at once.
- Experience with federal policy or state policy institutions or frameworks preferred.
- Knowledge of electrification of the transportation sector and clean grid.
- Experience working in a technical role within a research or policy institution and specific knowledge of and experience with resource management and/or conservation issues preferred.
This position requires domestic travel to meetings and conferences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.