Senior Coordinator, International Team
Type of Job
$50,000 - $65,000
Mar 16, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we are seeking a Senior Coordinator to join our NWF international team in Washington, DC (due to COVID-19 all NWF employees are working remotely until further notice). In this role, you will be responsible for coordinating our work with partners, governments, and corporations as well as supporting implementation of novel tools and approaches aimed at reducing deforestation and habitat conversion for major commodities in South America. The position is initially for 18 months with the possibility of extending, subject to funding.
For over the past thirty years, the National Wildlife Federation has worked internationally to protect wildlife habitat in key regions of the tropics. The goal of our international work is to eliminate tropical deforestation and human rights abuses driven by the production of globally traded agricultural commodities (beef, leather, palm oil, cocoa, soy, pulp and paper).
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with NWF staff and partners to help reduce deforestation linked to agricultural expansion in South America.
- Coordinate the work of academic and field-based partners to implement tools for deforestation monitoring and traceability.
- Produce written materials (including reports, presentations, factsheets, and websites), aimed at a variety of stakeholders.
- Professionally represent NWF in internal and external calls, working groups, platforms, various meetings, and events.
- Engage with company representatives to support deforestation-free sourcing.
- Support partnership management and oversee project management of grant deliverables to ensure timeliness, incorporation of lessons learned, and overall success of grants.
- Coordinate and support the production of grant reports, including formal grant Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Help manage grant budgets, including tracking contracts and timelines
- Organizing and coordinating logistics to ensure effective meetings, events, and calls
- At least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Fluency in English, and a professional proficiency in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Experience coordinating the work of US federal government grants.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including producing reports.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills. Attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well with diverse stakeholders and groups.
- Ability to convey complex information to non-expert audiences.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken Spanish and Portuguese.
- Experience working with international teams and partners.
- Experience working in South America and/or with governments, producers or supply chain. companies, such as meatpackers and supermarkets.
- Experience building and utilizing project management tools.
This position will be expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeking feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeping staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Demonstrating knowledge of diverse cultural and historical connections to the land, air, and water, and the ability to share that knowledge in a culturally responsive way;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
The position will require travel (about 20% of time, when travel is allowed) to South America, including to remote areas, once COVID-19 travel restrictions have lifted.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position pays between $50,000 - $65,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, but will transition to onsite work when our offices re-open, expected to be in 2022. Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.