Senior Coordinator, International Communications and Media
Type of Job
$55,000 - $60,000
Nov 9, 2021
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
We are looking for a Senior Coordinator, International Communications and Media, to join our international team in Washington, DC . For the past thirty years, the National Wildlife Federation has worked internationally to protect wildlife habitat in key regions of the tropics. The goal of our international work is to eliminate tropical deforestation and human rights abuses driven by the production of globally traded agricultural commodities (soy, beef, leather, palm oil, cocoa, pulp and paper).
In this role, you will be responsible for coordinating the communications and multi-media work associated with a project that aims to reduce deforestation and habitat loss driven by the expansion of cattle production in Brazil and Paraguay. You will work closely alongside NWF’s International team and Communications team to develop and implement communications plans, conduct outreach to journalists and media, produce written content, develop stakeholder engagement materials, manage social media accounts and microsites, and help contribute to the overall success of the project.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with NWF staff and partners to support efforts aimed at reducing deforestation and habitat loss associated with the production and sourcing of cattle from the Brazilian Amazon, Brazilian Cerrado and Gran Chaco of Paraguay.
- Work closely with NWF staff and partners to produce and publish stakeholder engagement materials that make compelling business-oriented arguments that support deforestation-free and conversion-free (DCF) commitments and implementation by meatpackers and other key actors in Brazil and Paraguay.
- Engage with journalists and media in the U.S., Europe, Brazil and Paraguay to elevate and expand the reach of our work, including writing journalist notes, pitching stories, coordinating interviews, press releases, sponsored content, op-eds, etc.
- Produce written content and lead the assembly of stakeholder engagement materials (blogs, factsheets, reports, infographics, videos, etc.), including writing, copyediting, photo/video selection, layout, design and publication.
- Oversee the updating, posting, and tracking of metrics across our international social media accounts and issue-based microsites.
- Liaise with NWF’s domestic communications, online operations, and digital departments.
- Represent NWF during calls, meetings and events with partners and external stakeholders.
- Provide support for grant reporting and help track grant deliverables.
- Carry out general administrative and operational tasks to help ensure the success of the project.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills. Requires complete fluency in English.
- Professional proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese
- Experience developing professional factsheets, reports, infographics, and presentations.
- Experience managing organizational social media accounts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills. Attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage competing priorities.
- Ability to work well with diverse stakeholders and groups.
- Ability to convey complex information to non-expert audiences.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Professional proficiency (near fluency) in both Spanish and Portuguese.
- Experience copyediting and/or translating material between English and Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Marketing, Public Relations or related field.
- Experience engaging with journalists and media.
- Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud (particularly InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop), Constant Contact or other email marketing software, Canva, Cision, and Hootsuite.
- Experience working with international teams and partners.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
There will be some domestic and international travel when deemed safe and appropriate
Compensation and benefits:
This position pays between $55,000 - $60,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, but will transition to onsite work when our offices re-open, expected to be in early 2022. Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition to join the National Wildlife Federation.
We strive to increase equity and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to equity and justice at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.