Senior Communications Associate
Flexible in the Western US
Type of Job
About the job
The Water Hub is seeking a Senior Communications Associate to help build the political will needed to advance water justice and resilience in the Western United States. The Water Hub was created to elevate water as a public health, economic, and social justice issue, in addition to an environmental concern.
The Water Hub is a program of Climate Nexus. We provide pro bono communications support to advocates and experts, from content creation to media and opinion research, training and coaching.
At a time when so many stories center on conflict, the Water Hub works to create new narratives of progress and possibility, spotlighting the water solutions taking root from urban neighborhoods to forests and farmland. We also work to broaden the conversation, uplifting the voices and stories of frontline communities, Tribes, and other underrepresented groups.
The Water Hub was designed to add capacity to the water movement, and the Senior Associate’s help with writing, research, and outreach will be invaluable for partner organizations that have limited bandwidth to develop the strategy and content needed to facilitate lasting change in the water space.
This new hire will be part of a highly collaborative five-person team, and will also be able to access the skills and experience of Climate Nexus colleagues. The Senior Associate will provide to support for a variety of communications efforts, ranging from media outreach around scientific reports to advocacy efforts designed to support or defeat specific water projects and policies. The Water Hub team splits its time between providing on-call support to partner organizations, and pursuing longer-term narrative projects.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience using earned and digital media in support of social change. There will be opportunities for mentorship, training, and real-time feedback to help the Senior Associate build their skills and career path. The location is flexible within the Western United States, but we would love to add capacity in Southwestern States like Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas.
The Water Hub team is currently distributed across California, Oregon and Colorado. We are all working remotely during the pandemic, but will resume travel to co-work and meet with partner organizations when it is safe to do so.
- Relationship management: Work with colleagues to develop and steward relationships with partners at nonprofit and community organizations and research institutions
- Issue research: Compile and summarize background material on key water issues to inform communications strategy
- Image sourcing: Identify Creative Commons licensed images for use by the Water Hub and its partners
- Tracking and reporting: Monitor earned and digital media to identify possible communications opportunities, and compile clips reports following outreach
- Copywriting: Draft press releases, opinion editorials, fact sheets, talking points, tweets, and other communications content that reflects the message strategy we co-create with partners
- Event support: Help to plan and execute press conferences, rallies, workshops and trainings, etc.
- Media targeting: Develop media lists for key news moments, including studying journalist’s past coverage and helping to tailor pitches to their interests
- Based in the West, preferably the Southwest (we will not pursue candidates outside of this region)
- Passion for advocacy, preferably on water, environmental justice, health, or a related issue
- Proactive and excited to help create something impactful
- Able to receive feedback with openness and humility
- Effective network and relationship builder
- At ease working alone or with colleagues as required by projects
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Solid work ethic and good humor; willing to hustle and pitch in as needed
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years of experience in communications or organizing, preferably working in service of social change
- Ability to distill complex science or policy information into simple language
- Strong writer and deep listener with the ability to communicate persuasively
- Basic knowledge of the traditional and digital media landscape
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- Familiarity with tools like Cision, Tweetdeck, Photoshop, Canva, WordPress, and Hubspot is a plus, but not required (we’re happy to train the right candidate)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The starting salary range for this position is $60-75,000, dependent on experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; employer contributions to 401k retirement account; parental leave; commuter transit benefit.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Water Hub Senior Associate” in the subject line. Please note: this position requires strong writing skills, and we will read your cover letter both for substance and to get a sense of your writing style. Finalists for this position will also be required to complete a brief writing test.
Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer. Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages qualified persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or military or veteran status to apply.