Senior Campaign Coordinator
Type of Job
Feb 15, 2022
About the job
Senior Campaign Coordinator
Climate and Energy
Union of Concerned Scientists
Chicago, IL or Washington, DC, with remote work possible
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
UCS is accepting applications for a Senior Campaign Coordinator to join our Climate and Energy team. In this role, you will work with a team that focuses on modernizing the U.S. electric grid without leaving anyone behind and facilitating a transition to renewable energy, away from burning fossil fuels that disproportionately affect the health and well-being of low-income communities and communities of color. UCS is committed to enacting policies that create a just and equitable transition to a renewable energy future, and to broadening and diversifying the voices shaping energy decisions. As Senior Campaign Coordinator, you would help further these efforts.
The ideal candidate will have experience in advocacy and working in partnership with communities, and an interest in working on climate justice and energy issues. You will also help support locally-focused UCS work in Midwestern states.
· Working with Midwest and government affairs teams, develop and implement outreach and advocacy plans to advance equitable state and federal legislative and regulatory campaign initiatives, with particular focus on the Midwest
· Assess and pursue opportunities to make progress on federal and state policies, helping to ensure alignment between the two
· Meaningfully engage UCS supporters, experts, and decision-makers to advance campaign strategies and goals through online and offline advocacy, especially with diverse and historically underrepresented constituencies
· Contribute to federal, regional, and state agency advocacy efforts, including assessing political and coalition partner dynamics
· Create and coordinate comments, letters, and testimony for legislative and regulatory proceedings
· Build relationships and coordinate campaign work with allies in key regions, including environmental justice and community organizations
· Represent UCS positions in meetings with state and federal legislators and staff, agencies, and other stakeholders
· Support organizational learning on issues of justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity
· Stay informed about clean energy and grid modernization technology and policy, as well as effective outreach strategies for influencing campaign targets
Qualifications and Experience
· Position requires five years of comparable and relevant experience, including at least 3 years of organizing and advocacy experience
· Experience planning and implementing effective advocacy campaigns and strong project management experience
· Ability to work with coalition partners, especially organizations representing working-class, Latinx/Hispanic, Black, Indigenous and immigrant communities
· Ability to communicate effectively with professionals who may be expert and/or prominent in their fields
· Capacity to work independently, balance multiple priorities and collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary team
· Prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion
· Background in climate change and energy issues
· Some knowledge of the landscape around these issues in the Midwest
· Experience with or interest in regulatory processes
· Experience with or interest in learning about the application of science to public policy, especially on energy issues
Little or no exertion is required. May spend extended periods at a computer. May require occasional travel, approximately once per quarter.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a position that can be done remotely, or with UCS Chicago or Washington, DC, offices as a home base (though as of this posting, all UCS staff work from home). Because there may be in-person work required for this position in Midwestern states eventually, applicants located outside the Midwest should have availability to travel. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $60,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment that is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic, our staff is working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: Until filled