Senior Attorney, Clean Energy
Los Angeles, CA, Washington, DC, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA
Type of Job
143,200 - 159,100
Apr 21, 2022
About the job
Earthjustice is seeking a Senior Attorney to join our growing team who work to accelerate a shift from coal- and gas-fired electricity generation, and to advance clean energy throughout the country. This role is with our Clean Energy Program, focusing on litigation, advocacy and strategy before state public utility commissions, administrative bodies, and in courts in support of an equitable transition to clean, affordable, and reliable energy.
Earthjustice is now accepting applications for a Senior Attorney to join our growing team of lawyers who work to accelerate a shift from coal- and gas-fired electricity generation, and to advance clean energy throughout the country. The Senior Attorney will reside in our Clean Energy Program, focusing on litigation, advocacy and strategy before state public utility commissions, administrative bodies, and in courts in support of an equitable transition to clean, affordable, and reliable energy. The work will include combatting fossil-fuel-fired generation, with a focus on emerging threats that could jeopardize progress toward a clean energy future.
The position can be located in any of Earthjustice’s offices, with a preference for the position to be in one of our primary program offices – New York City, Washington DC, Philadelphia, or Los Angeles.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups to engage on the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Bozeman, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tallahassee, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s Clean Energy Program litigates and advocates in state and federal courts and before energy and environmental regulators across the country to advance an equitable transition from fossil fuels to clean energy, and to hold polluters accountable. Earthjustice presently has two programs focused on cleaning up the power sector and accelerating a clean energy transition — the Coal Program and Clean Energy Program. The former focuses on ending our nation’s reliance on dirty, expensive, and outdated coal-fired power, cleaning up coal’s toxic legacy, and blocking a rush to build new gas generation that would crowd out clean energy development. The latter focuses on breaking down barriers and increasing access to clean energy resources, including energy efficiency, solar, wind, demand response, and storage; advancing electrification; and opposing efforts to build new gas-fired power plants. Recognizing the synergies that exist across these dedicated teams, we are combining these highly effective programs into one Clean Energy Program, covering the work of both teams. Our practice increasingly emphasizes a mentorship culture for staff at all levels, and we expect that every Senior Attorney will help nurture the development of early-career attorneys and other staff. Senior Attorneys also supervise Associate Attorneys and Litigation Assistants in connection with their work on particular projects and will be asked to serve as the formal supervisor for one or more team members.
Due to Covid-19, Earthjustice staff are temporarily working remotely from approved locations until April 27, 2022 when offices reopen to a hybrid work plan.
- Developing and implementing creative legal strategies concerning emerging climate and health threats.
- Identify new cases and advocacy opportunities to advance program goals.
- Lead litigation and advocacy efforts, and perform the full range of litigation tasks, including conducting factual investigations, developing legal theories, securing expert testimony, submitting comments, petitions, briefs, and oral arguments.
- Collaborate in team problem solving, litigation strategy, and project management.
- Collaborate with and oversee the work of technical experts.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners to investigate, develop, and litigate cases.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice, clients, and partners and help develop and execute effective media strategies.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation, as well as clients and partners, to leverage legal advocacy to obtain positive change and results.
- Supervise the work of and mentor Associate Attorneys and Litigation Assistants.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with new and diverse clients and other partner organizations.
- Contribute to efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates difference.
- Train and mentor Associate Attorneys, including by building their skills in the course of legal advocacy.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree.
- Admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the bar association of the jurisdiction where the position is located.
- At least six years of litigation experience, with energy advocacy experience preferred.
- Ability to develop cases, manage a litigation docket effectively, lead a litigation team, and work collaboratively with colleagues and partner organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively litigate complex cases—including the full range of litigation tasks, such as factual investigation, legal research, drafting of pleadings and briefing, and courtroom advocacy.
- Creativity, initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work effectively with technical experts, especially with respect to new technologies and emerging climate and health threats.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in collaboration with others
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with a diverse set of clients and partner organizations.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Strong and demonstrated work ethic, initiative, and sound judgment.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for casework, court appearances, and other advocacy needs.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission, including a desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Willingness and ability to effectively supervise and intentionally mentor early career staff in connection with litigation and advocacy projects, and to help foster an inclusive and nurturing work environment
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Compensation is based on experience and location.
New York, NY: $159,100+
Los Angeles, CA, Washington, DC: $151,100+
Philadelphia, PA: $143,200+
***If you are in a location of an office not listed above, then your salary will vary based on location accordingly.
Using the link above, interested applicants should submit the following application materials via Jobvite by May 13, 2022:
- One to two-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and the skills you would bring to it.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum you have written.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.
We are looking to hire a candidate that is available to start as soon as possible.
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Senior Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Senior Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/senior-attorney
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.