Senior Attorney, Alaska
Anchorage or Juneau, AK
Type of Job
May 23, 2022
About the job
Senior Attorney, Alaska
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Alaska office works to protect Alaska’s public lands and waters, fish and wildlife, air and water quality, and public health from threats posed by oil and gas development, old growth logging, minerals and coal mining, industrial-scale ocean trawling, and other activities. We represent conservation groups, Alaska Native tribal and nonprofit organizations, community groups, fishing organizations, and others in litigation and other advocacy before federal and state agencies and in the courts. With offices in Juneau and Anchorage, we work on issues throughout the state. Our current priorities include protecting America’s Arctic from oil and gas development, roadless area and old growth forest protection in the Tongass National Forest, and opposition to several proposed large-scale mines in western and southeast Alaska and on transboundary rivers in Canada. For more information about the Alaska office, please visit http://earthjustice.org/about/offices/Alaska.
The Senior Attorney is preferred to be based out of one of our two offices located in either Anchorage or Juneau, Alaska, but we will consider the right remote applicant. Remote applicants must be based in the United States. Beginning April 27, 2022, Earthjustice staff will be working two days a week in the office. After six months, the Executive Leadership Team will evaluate whether to adjust our hybrid work plan.
- Litigate cases from beginning to end, performing all aspects of litigation.
- Develop litigation and legal advocacy strategies to support program goals.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Cultivate new and diverse clients, allies, and coalition partners in support of program goals.
- Lead teams and mentor other staff, including associate attorneys, litigation assistants, and law clerks.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice, clients, and partners.
- Help develop and execute effective media and, where appropriate, legislative strategies.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation.
- Attorney with substantial litigation experience and the ability to litigate cases from beginning to end, independently if necessary. We expect that in most cases a candidate meeting this requirement would have at least six years litigation experience, but candidates with fewer years of experience are welcome to apply as long as they meet this functional requirement.
- Admitted to, or willing to apply for admission, to the Alaska bar.
- Excellent litigation skills, including top-notch legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Ability to manage a litigation docket effectively, lead a litigation team, and work collaboratively with colleagues and partner organizations.
- Proficient at working with technical experts.
- Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with client partners and staff
- Strong and demonstrated initiative, good judgment, and work ethic.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, and presentations.
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- An awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- An ability and commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary depends on experience and location.
Salary range in Anchorage or Juneau, AK: $143,200+ depending on experience
Salary range, Remote in Alaska
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Senior Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Senior Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/senior-attorney
Please apply online via the Jobvite system. Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter that addresses (1) why you are drawn to this position and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum you have written.
- List of three references.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice only accepts resumes submitted for positions that are currently open. Unsolicited resumes, or resumes for posted positions that are not submitted via the on-line application process (where available), will not be reviewed or retained.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.