Senior Associate, Community Engagement
Type of Job
Dec 12, 2022
About the job
- Status: Full Time Exempt, Salaried
- Salary: $60,000 – $65,000, paid monthly
- Working Conditions: Full-Time Remote, 35hrs/week, Occasional Domestic Travel, Technical Setup Provided (Laptop, Monitor, Accessories)
- Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Paid Time Off, Matching IRA Contributions, Professional Development Assistance
- Reports to: Director of Community Engagement
- Member of the Community Engagement Team. Currently includes Director of Community Engagement and Senior Manager of Community Engagement
As climate change impacts communities across the U.S., the Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) believes that our buildings should reduce pollution, protect our health, and enable us to thrive. IMT’s community engagement is based upon the principles of the Just Transition, a vision-led, unifying and place-based set of principles, processes, and practices that build economic and political power to shift from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy. IMT seeks a dynamic individual with an understanding of the complexities involved in adopting and implementing strategies that address the climate crisis while addressing the immediate needs of communities.
IMT is currently building capacity and partnerships to support communities across the country that are committed to the recently announced National Building Performance Standards Coalition. The goal of this effort is to ensure participation and elevate priorities from frontline communities in the policy-making process in order to develop comprehensive local climate policies, targeting near-term solutions for energy burden and pollution while reducing carbon impact and improving resilience to climate impacts. The Senior Associate will play a key role in the goals of policy research, community action and advocacy, and coalition building and partnerships in this effort.
The successful candidate will help identify and empower community organizations and voices in the planning and implementation of energy policies and programs, in the development and operation of real estate, and in the utility sector. This work will require interacting with a diverse set of stakeholders, identifying new and creative policy solutions, and finding common ground for successful design and implementation of policies and programs. The candidate will work in partnership with the Senior Community Engagement Manager and Director to design program implementation strategies, collect data, engage with the community-based organizations, conduct outreach and represent the organization at key meetings and community events. This role will report to the Director of Community Engagement.
- Support the development of a national strategy for advocacy and implementation of building performance policy and environmental justice programs work
- Create educational and outreach resources on building performance policies, and the intersection of community and environmental justice movement and tools, to community resilience, public health, racial equity, affordable housing and workforce development
- Contribute to the development of messaging campaigns connecting community needs and assets to policy efforts
- Actively seek and cultivate partnerships with community-based organizations as a new audience
- Support the implementation of a strong peer-learning community of organizations and local agencies working at the intersection of climate/ environmental justice, infrastructure, and policy
- Manage assigned projects including planning, reporting, and assist in ensuring deadlines and deliverables are met
- Present publicly at events and conferences and organize panels on relevant topics
- Work with other programs as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Commitment to advancing social, economic, and climate/environmental justice
- An understanding and commitment to the principles of equity and inclusion. See Climate Justice Alliance for more information on the Just Transition and multi-sector alliance work.
- Highly organized, with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with a thirst for solving tough problems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Communications background or experience in cultural/ ethical storytelling in order to amplify community voices
- Demonstrate an agility for sizing up and tackling problems that span public and private sectors
- Flexible and comfortable with some ambiguity, and a team player
- Willingness to identify where connections, as well as gaps, exist in the work
- Values relationships and uplifting community voices
How to Apply
This is a full-time remote position. The salary range for this position is $60,000 -$65,000, commensurate with experience. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Senior Associate –Community Engagement” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a trusted, non-partisan nonprofit organization that works to ensure that everyone in the U.S. benefits from high-performing buildings in all facets of their lives. IMT bridges the intersection of business, government, and community priorities to spotlight business practices and advance public policy to improve U.S. buildings. We do this by co-creating and deploying public policy and business practices that drive widespread market action toward improving how we collectively build, design, and operate the spaces where people live, work, learn, connect, and play. To learn more about our work, visit www.imt.org/about.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative, and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. IMT is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across our organization. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have fun along the way.
IMT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.