Senior Analyst, Financial Compliance
New York, Austin, Boston, Boulder, Raleigh, Remote - US, San Francisco, Washington, D.C.
Type of Job
78,000 - 86,000 USD
Nov 3, 2022
About the job
EDF’s Finance Department seeks to achieve excellence in financial oversight and internal controls by providing accurate and timely fiscal data and reports, as well as recommendations to EDF’s leadership, programs, and all department areas by adhering to established best financial practices and accounting principles.
As a member of the Finance Department, the Senior Analyst, Financial Compliance will provide support and recommendations as to the organization’s department operations as to compliance with tax and audit standards. The Senior Analyst will be tasked to organize data, build workpapers and financial reports, review contracts and agreements, perform financial analysis and projections, reconcile difference, prepare project plans, and resolve any issues. They will pursue continuous improvement and present complex financial data for decision-making to both financial and non-financial audiences. This position reports to the Controller of Local Reporting & Business Partnering and will work closely with colleagues all throughout EDF, as well as with many third-party providers that EDF works with worldwide.
- Prepare of the various EDF tax returns including those for subsidiaries required disclosure filings for all relevant jurisdictions (for the U.S. tax body of work, partner with the EDF’s outside auditors, and for the non-U.S. body of work, partner with EDF’s outside auditors and our third-party service provides as needed).
- Coordinate and follow State & Federal Compliance filing requirements, such as state registration renewals and Federal Election Commission financial disclosures.
- Partner closely with Legal Compliance team and with Government Grants Compliance team to ensure seamless support for all things jurisdictional and/or reporting.
- Assist in the development and the monthly reporting of the annual fiscal compliance calendar.
- Assist with annual audits, and general accepted accounting principal research as needed.
- Support in educating Finance and non-Finance staff on fiscal compliance policies and processes. Participate in departmental meetings and trainings.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that will info decision-making on strategic initiatives.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Work on relevant special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting.
- Minimum 4 years of progressive experience in a finance and accounting department within a non-profit organization or a public accounting firm. International non-profit experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP and IRS standards and thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles.
- Proven knowledge of general accounting and tax reporting.
- Detail-oriented and self motivated, including working well independently and as part of a team.
- Experienced in MS Office Suite, with expertise in Excel, Word and Power Point: the ability to develop workpapers that clearly present data and make recommendations to facilitate decision-making by management.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills.
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills, including the ability to be flexible under pressure with changing priorities, as well as perform well in a fast-paced team environment.
- Demonstrate self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience with fiscal reports and reporting software packages is required.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 78,000 - 86,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.