Sonoma County, CA
Type of Job
Based on experience
About the job
SONOMA LAND TRUST
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Director of Finance and Administration
Last Revised: October 2020
The Senior Accountant works closely with the Director of Finance and Administration and Staff Accountant for a broad range of financial, administrative, and operational duties and oversight that are essential to the maintenance and reliability of the accounting systems of the Sonoma Land Trust. The Senior Accountant provides general support in all aspects of accounting, as well as assisting with various compliance requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting
· Perform investment accounting and portfolio back-up information and advanced accounting transactions. Prepare investment worksheets and information for the outside audit.
· Perform month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closing entries.
· Enter and reconcile payroll and staff time reporting allocations.
· Reconcile bank and investment accounts.
· Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records monthly and Identify discrepancies.
· Manage monthly journal entry and “close” schedules to ensure timely monthly closing.
· Monitor pledges, pledge payments, and pledge discounts for present value and for collectability.
· Assist in filing of tax forms including 1099s, Sales & Use tax return, Census, and other miscellaneous forms.
· 403-B reporting: Monitor transactions of pension plan deposits, working in conjunction with the Pension Plan Services consultant to maintain compliance and assist in preparation of the annual 5500 tax return.
· Oversee the life insurance and disability plan enrollment and reporting.
· Record, and reconcile payroll, including workers compensation, health benefits, pension plan compensation, etc.
· Prepare annual audit worksheets, in conjunction with the other Finance staff, for the annual independent audit.
· Maintain monthly reconciliations required for annual audit.
· Assist in other outside audits as necessary.
· Assist as required in budget preparation.
· Assist in the management of contracts and grants awarded to SLT.
· Prepare and monitor invoices for fee-for-services contracts and grants.
· Grant Tracking: maintain grant files and the “grant tracking” calendar to monitor grant deadlines.
· Assist staff as required for grant reporting.
· Generate and distribute departmental reports which reflect performance against budget on a timely basis for review and approval.
· Provide review and oversight of revenue released from restricted grants and deferred revenue.
· Assist with preparation of monthly financial statements and analysis.
· Work closely with Accounting Assistant for oversight and review in maintaining accounting system.
· Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
· A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience with a concentration in accounting and finance.
· Knowledge and understanding of accounting information systems and MS Excel.
· Proficiency with computer applications and office systems.
· Ability to understand the requirements of GAAP, Non-Profit Accounting Standards.
· Acute attention to detail and accuracy and ability to efficiently complete complex account reconciliations.
· Working knowledge of fund accounting, payroll, personnel and material management policies and procedures.
Schedule, Salary & Benefits:
Position is 40 hours per week.
Competitive salary. Employer contribution to a health insurance plan. Employer contribution to 403(b) retirement plan provided after one year of employment. Vacation, holiday, personal and compensatory leave provided in accordance with the SLT Personnel Policies and Procedures.
To apply please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Sonoma Land Trust staff are currently working remotely at home until it is considered safe to be back in an office environment due to COVID-19.
Sonoma Land Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive organization and encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, sexes, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military or veteran status or other status protected by law.
Visit for more information.