Senior Account Manager
Denver/San Francisco/Washington DC/New York
Type of Job
Apr 9, 2021
About the job
SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER
Spitfire is looking for two experienced and resourceful senior account managers who thrive in a fast-paced client environment and are curious, creative and passionate about working to advance racial, economic and social justice, protect the environment and expand opportunity for all. One position must be based in the Mountain or Pacific time zone. One position may be based anywhere in the U.S.
A Spitfire senior account manager works on client accounts devising audience engagement and messaging strategies, conducting and analyzing research, crafting effective earned media pitches and social media posts, exploring opportunities to get attention and create change and delivering results that exceed the expectations of our clients. A successful senior account manager consistently delivers high-quality work and identifies ways to delight our clients with ideas and work that have impact.
In this position, you’ll have significant professional growth opportunities, learn how to run your own accounts and expand your communication skills from writing to research to strategy to coaching clients to hone their communication skills. You’ll report directly to a member of our senior staff who will prioritize your professional growth. You’ll have opportunities to manage junior staff on client projects. This position requires travel.
- Lead smaller client projects and serve as a strong second on larger accounts.
- Set and manage client expectations.
- Provide exemplary client service.
- Provide smart strategic advice and counsel that is trusted and well-received.
- Contribute to strategy for communication and campaign efforts, including research and writing sections of message guides, toolkits, brand briefs and communication and campaign plans.
- Create and implement attention-getting tactics, including earned, owned and digital media.
- Serve as well-reviewed coach for capacity building trainings and co-lead trainings with senior colleagues.
- Problem solve on challenging assignments.
- Stay on top of trends and best practices, share with firm and apply to work.
- Solicit, offer and respond to feedback for assigned projects.
- Mentor junior staff.
- Consistently meet project deadlines.
- Manage project budgets and work plans.
- Submit time and expenses by deadline and follow company policies.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
Competencies & Characteristics
- Ability to think strategically.
- Experience and skills in most aspects of Spitfire’s offerings, including strategic communication and campaign planning, message development, capacity building, earned media and digital strategies, campaign planning and branding.
- Strong writing skills with minimal editing needed.
- Strong public speaking abilities.
- Research and analytic skills.
- Results-oriented project management.
- Collegial, collaborative and curious.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Good judgement.
- Self-directed and accountable.
- Flexible, nimble and resilient.
- Detail oriented, highly organized and having strong follow through.
- Knowledge of social and environmental issues.
- Ability to multitask and good time-management skills.
- Commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
Prefer a bachelor’s degree (degree requirements may be substituted for an equivalent combination of education, training and experience) and minimum of six years’ work experience in a related field, including public relations, public affairs agency, Hill/City Hall, nonprofit communication or related experience. The Senior Account Manager position will have the opportunity to support efforts reaching Spanish-dominant Latino audiences as well as Spitfire’s international work; bilingual ability in English and Spanish is desirable.
Senior account managers are full-time, exempt employees. The starting salary range for this position is $69,000 to $84,000 per year. Spitfire’s compensation package also includes 100% paid health and dental insurance for employees, generous paid time off, 15–16 paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan, summer hours and in-office perks.
One position must be based in the Mountain or Pacific time zone; one position may be based anywhere in the U.S. Spitfire has offices in Denver, San Francisco, New York and Washington, DC. Should a candidate from any of these areas be selected, that individual will begin as a remote employee and will be invited to work onsite once offices reopen.
As a woman-owned firm, Spitfire’s values are rooted in one core principle: everyone belongs and has the power to spark change. Our work mirrors this. We’re relentless in our pursuit of opportunities to represent the best interests of people and the planet, whether that takes us into communities, across the country or around the world. Our team of professionals stands ready to bring — and tap into — diverse perspectives, experiences and expertise to tackle the most critical social and environmental issues of our time.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Spitfire Strategies is committed to maintaining and promoting a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels of the organization. We strive to build a work environment that stimulates positive change and more fully reflects the clients we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the importance of not viewing individuals based on a single identity, and we thrive on being equitable in our recruitment process as well as in our efforts to be inclusive of all employees.
Spitfire encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, veteran status, marital status, disability (including mental disabilities, learning disabilities and history of disabilities), genetic information, record of arrest or conviction or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are driven to pursue social justice, fight xenophobia, support an equitable society for all people and defend human rights, we encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
To be considered with the first round of applicants, please send the following three items by 5 p.m. PST on Friday, April 23, 2021 to , noting the position title in the subject line:
- Cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us about at least one time when you’ve sparked change.
- A brief writing sample, digital strategy memo, campaign strategy or other client-level deliverable (2–5 pages).
Prior to submitting your application, please review the salary range for this position in the Compensation section above. No phone calls, please.