Seed Collection Project with Joshua Tree National Park and Mojave National Preserve - 6 months
Twentynine Palms, CA
Type of Job
Jul 15, 2022
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with Mojave National Preserve and Joshua Tree National Park, is seeking two members to contribute to the parks' seed collection project alongside park Staff. Joshua Tree NP and Mojave NP have received funding to expand the necessary genetic material (seeds) to assist in preservation and restoration of the iconic Joshua tree species.
For more information about ACE, and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/821347.html
Start Date: 09/26/2022
End Date: 03/26/2023
*a 26-week minimum commitment is required *
Location: The Mojave National Preserve is a diverse mosaic of ecological habitats and a 10,000 year history of human connection with the desert. Offering extensive opportunities to experience desert landscapes, the preserve promotes understanding and appreciation for the increasingly threatened resources of the Mojave Desert. This remote preserve encourages a sense of discovery and a connection to wild places.
Two distinct desert ecosystems, the Mojave and the Sonoran, come together in Joshua Tree National Park. A fascinating variety of plants and animals make their homes in a land sculpted by strong winds and occasional torrents of rain. Dark night skies, a rich cultural history, and surreal geologic features add to the wonder of this vast wilderness in southern California.
For more information about Mojave National Preserve, please visit https://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm
For more information about Joshua Tree National Park, please visit https://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm.
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $600/week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
- ACE members will be accommodated in provided dormitory-style housing at no cost for the duration of the term at either the Kelso or Hole-in-the-Wall area
- Scheduling: 4x10hr days/ 40-hour week
Two vegetation technicians will be hired to assist the crew lead in coordinating field activities including but not limited to: scouting seed locations and ripeness, seed collection, seed drying/cleaning, corresponding to volunteer information requests, arranging campsite locations/accommodations, and GIS data management. Technicians will be led by a crew leader for 6 months with supervision from NPS staff. Crew and lead will be provided training by NPS Park staff to learn about project goals, methods, plant identification, and agency stewardship principles. Technicians will use GPS devices and ESRI products (Field Maps, Survey123) to keep track of collections and document progress. Technicians will work in a desert environment, which may involve extreme weather conditions (heat, cold, wind, etc.). Technicians will also be working and living in a remote setting, with limited cell and internet service, long distances to grocery stores (e.g. 90 miles), limited facilities, etc.
Vegetation technicians may assist Mojave National Preserve and Joshua Tree National Park with other projects related to climate change mitigations and visitor use management in the fields of vegetation, wildlife, geology, interpretation, and environmental compliance.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility.
- Members must be US citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A current and valid form of ID (will be required to provide copies of ID's upon hiring).
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position, including primitive camping in remote, dry locations for multiple days.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing a minimum of a high school diploma and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such as seed collection, botany, restoration, or volunteer coordination.
- Ability and willingness to learn about planning for climate change in the desert and work on an interdisciplinary team to accomplish Park goals.
- Deep interest in all things related to the desert.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/821347.html
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact Shannon Borowy at email@example.com.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.