Seasonal S.T.E.M. Educator
Type of Job
$18 / hour
Feb 4, 2022
About the job
Groundwork Hudson Valley is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to “changing places and changing lives” in the lower Hudson Valley. Our mission is to create sustainable environmental change in urban neighborhoods through community-based partnerships that promote equity, youth leadership, and economic opportunity. Program areas include climate resilience, sustainability education, and youth leadership development. Groundwork partners with neighborhood residents, private and non-profit partners, local businesses, and government officials to identify environmental improvements that will advance equitable, healthy, vibrant communities and empower the next generation of community leaders.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is looking to fill two (2) Seasonal S.T.E.M. Educator positions for one of the most unique job experiences around: a world-famous floating farm called the Science Barge! We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable applicants with an interest in sustainability education, urban agriculture, and environmental issues.
The goals of the Science Barge program are to educate students, the public in Yonkers, and the greater tri-state area about the tenants of Sustainability, Climate Change and Resiliency, renewable energy, food security, and alternative growing systems. The Barge features a 1,100 square foot greenhouse where tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and other crops are grown using recirculating hydroponics and aquaponics. The greenhouse is powered by a renewable energy package that includes solar, wind, and a generator running on bio-fuel. Programs and tours are available for students during the school year (virtual and live), with the Barge open to the public on weekends during late spring, summer and fall.
The Education Assistant seasonal position involves working in the outdoor classroom and in the greenhouse, facilitating hands-on, sustainability-centered education programs delivered to a broad range of students, and growing food for our community. Under the direction of the Sustainability Education Manager and Associate, the Education Assistant will lead classes, tours and activities for students and visitors to the Barge, and perform greenhouse work to maximize growing food for the community. During the spring and fall, the Education Assistant will co-teach school classes held either in person or virtually (subject to Covid conditions) on topics that include botany, river ecology, renewable energy, waste management, climate science, resilience practices, and others. During the late spring, summer and fall, the Education Assistant will also staff the Barge during weekends when it is open to the public.
· Monitoring our hydroponic systems and adjusting nutrient and pH levels.
· Routine greenhouse maintenance: sweeping, mopping, pruning, trellising vines, filling water reservoirs, using integrated pest management systems, etc.
· Develop and distribution means to evaluate the effectiveness of Science Barge programs, including education performance rubrics and visitor questionnaires.
· Engage the public on weekends and helping to supervise volunteers.
· Working closely with the Sustainability Education Manager to develop curriculum and activities for the Science Barge.
· Staffing one day per weekend from late May till the end of October.
· Assisting with occasional big events.
· Overseeing and helping with science projects on the Science Barge.
· Assisting Groundwork with posting updates on our social media accounts and creating flyers.
· Background and interest in environmental education and sustainability preferred.
· Some college coursework in the science field required.
· Background and interest in hydroponics, urban agriculture, and climate science.
· Enthusiasm for teaching in an informal education setting.
· Self-starter, ability to work independently and to take direction.
- Has a passion for the guiding values and mission of Groundwork, including a commitment to environmental equity and justice.
This is a part-time temporary position.
Working hours are 22.5 hours per week from April to November, with the following schedule: three (3) weekdays in April, half of May and November; two (2) weekdays plus one (1) weekend day from the 2nd half of May through October. A two week paid training period is included in this schedule.
The salary for this position is $18.00 per hour.
How to Apply
Send a thoughtful cover letter and resume that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this position to email@example.com, with subject header Seasonal S.T.E.M. Educator.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws. City of Yonkers residents are strongly encouraged to apply.