New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
$14-$17 per hour BOE
Feb 10, 2022
About the job
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals. Mohonk Preserve encourages applications from women, minorities and/or other underrepresented groups.
About the Position:
We have a strong and dedicated Visitor Experience Department and Ranger staff. We are seeking an outgoing team member who loves the outdoors and has excellent communication and customer service skills, and experience working with the public. The Seasonal Ranger will perform the duties required of the Ranger core and their efforts to assure a safe and positive visitor experience while also providing stewardship to the land. The position is seasonal from April through November.
Seasonal Rangers report to the Deputy Chief Ranger.
$14 - $17 per hour based on experience
· Patrol Preserve carriage roads, trails, and entry facilities, as well as remote areas and boundaries as directed by supervising rangers
· Participate in emergency incidents such as Search And Rescue (SAR), vertical rescue/cliff evacuation, first aid and rules enforcement
· Participate in wild land firefighting as part of a regional team of firefighters
· Make sales transactions including collecting fees from day users and members; provide them assistance during their visits
· Participate in land stewardship projects: trail maintenance, invasive species removal, boundary patrol, sign maintenance
· Perform construction or mechanical work and perform maintenance of Preserve lands and facilities as directed
· Perform other related duties to support the Visitor Experience Department and Preserve as assigned by the Deputy Chief Ranger
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Experienced rock climber
· EMT Certification
· Current First Aid and CPR certifications; Search And Rescue experience; Wilderness First Responder/CPR for Professional Rescuer
· Must be able to navigate and traverse long distances on foot, at times in deep back country, and capable of carrying a minimum of 40 pounds in all weather conditions
· Interpersonal skills including the ability for conflict intervention
· Aptitude and enthusiasm for working with the public; sensitivity to needs of public and courtesy to the public
· Excellent communication abilities up and down the chain of command and outside of the Preserve including written, oral, and presentation skills
· Knowledge of the Preserve's mission, rules, policies and procedures
· Knowledge of the Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Mountain House trail and carriage road network, and boundaries
· Knowledge of the cultural, natural history, and geography of the Shawangunk Mountains
- Proficient computer skills - ability to use email, Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom).
· Willingness to work occasional irregular hours, including some weekends, evenings, and/or holidays
· Valid driver’s license; clean driving record; ability to pass background check.
· Bonus skills:
§ Education or experience in recreation management, public safety, resource protection, environmental education, construction, mechanical skills, farming, forestry practices
§ Experience wayfinding with Global Positioning Systems (GPS), experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
§ Wildland firefighting skills
§ Prescribed fire certifications
· Uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
· Frequently works outdoors for extended periods performing strenuous physical labor
· Drives vehicles and equipment
· Operates a variety of hand and mid-sized power tools/equipment
· Rock climbing, standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
· Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (include phone and email) by February 27 to: email@example.com
The anticipated start date of this position is early April 2022.
No phone calls please