Seasonal Preserve Technician (Sandyland)
Type of Job
Sep 9, 2022
About the job
This position will include extensive work in East Texas Forests, North Texas and Coastal Grasslands. The employee will be expected to 1) become familiar with local forest and grassland restoration practices; 2) learn local invasive plant species and control techniques; 3) assist with prescribed fire preparation; 4) become familiar with and operate various equipment and machinery; 5) work with TNC staff, partner organizations, and volunteers to accomplish restoration and stewardship objectives; 6) assist in cleaning and maintaining preserve facilities; 7) may assist with prescribed burns. The employee will be based at the Roy E. Larsen Sandyland Sanctuary Preserve in Silsbee, Texas, but will be expected to travel throughout Texas. On-site housing is provided.
- High school diploma and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. NWCG FFT2 or higher, First Aid, CPR, herbicide application, ATV safety, and driver’s license).
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; lawn mower, chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.).
- PC familiarity, including database and/or GIS knowledge.
Apply here: https://careers.nature.org/