Seasonal Preserve Technician (North Texas)
Type of Job
Sep 9, 2022
About the job
This position will include extensive work in North Texas grasslands, East Texas forests, and coastal grasslands. The employee will be expected to 1) become familiar with local prairie grassland and forest restoration practices; 2) learn local invasive plant species and control techniques; 3) assist with prescribed fire preparation; 4) become familiar with and operate various equipment and machinery; 5) work with TNC staff, partner organizations, and volunteers to accomplish restoration and stewardship objectives; 6) assist in cleaning and maintaining preserve facilities; 7) may assist with prescribed burns. The employee will be based at the Clymer Meadow Preserve in Celeste, Texas, but will be required to work on coastal grasslands preserves 30-50% time. This is a 24-26 week assignment. On-site housing is provided.
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. Lawn mower, chainsaw, UTV, ATV or OHV, two-way radio, or similar equipment).
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. NWCG FFT2 or higher, First Aid, CPR, herbicide application, ATV safety, and driver’s license).
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; lawn mower, chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.).
- PC familiarity, including database and/or GIS knowledge.
Apply here: https://careers.nature.org/