Seasonal Field Crew
Type of Job
$17.50 per hour
Mar 31, 2022
About the job
Friends of the Wissahickon (FOW) is seeking four to six Seasonal Field Crew members to assist us in regular clean-ups and general stewardship of Wissahickon Valley Park during its high-use season. This position is also responsible for providing consistent, effective outreach with park visitors at our highest-use locations by sharing FOW’s mission and responsible park use principles. This position’s primary time frame runs from May through August, with potential to continue to the end of October. This temporary position is primarily field-based and applicants should be comfortable with spending long periods of time outdoors in all-weather situations. Ideal candidates will have work & labor experience, are friendly and personable, can clearly communicate with the public, be highly motivated, and be able to successfully work as part of a team. Bilingual (English/Spanish) speakers preferred.
Position: Seasonal Field Crew Member
Schedule and Pay Rate: The primary term runs from May – August, with possible extension into September and October. This is primarily a Thursday-Sunday schedule, with some holidays required. Pay rate for this position is $17.50 per hour for 14-28 hours per week. The position begins with a mandatory multi-day training.
Reports to: FOW’s Director of Field Stewardship
Position Summary: The Seasonal Field Crew will be an important first point of contact for park users with our organization, as well as providing a consistently clean & welcoming green space. Members of the crew will be responsible for representing FOW throughout the busy summer season at some of the most visited locations in the park. The primary duty of the crew is to keep the high-use areas clean by removing litter, graffiti, and trail debris, as well as to welcome visitors to Wissahickon Valley Park, educate and engage park visitors about responsible park use, informing them of park rules, Leave No Trace principles, FOW’s mission and stewardship work, and other duties as assigned. This will include distributing trash bags and engaging with & educating park visitors around the Valley Green Inn, Devil’s Pool and Kitchen’s Lane sections of the park.
- Regular trash clean-ups, graffiti removal, simple trail work, and other field work.
- Assisting FOW staff members with bench repairs and installation, and gathering trail counter data.
- Communicating with park visitors about responsible park use principles and promoting FOW’s core stewardship values in Wissahickon Valley Park, focused around the high-use areas of the park.
- Monitoring land and structures for unwanted use and vandalism and communicating the damage to the FOW staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Over 18 years old
- Must be available for weekends and all holidays during this term
- Excellent verbal communication and active listening skills
- Must be able to communicate with a community of individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Must be comfortable using general hand tools including loppers, hand pruners, shovels, rakes and hand saws (Training is provided)
- Flexibility when dealing with work plans
- Proficiency in simple technology, such as email and completing electronic field reports
- Collaborative attitude and ability to work in a team environment.
- Must have reliable transportation. (The daily start/end location is near public transportation.)
- A passion for connecting people to outdoor public spaces
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Some experience with manual labor
Even if you don’t meet all of the required qualifications, we still encourage you to apply.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions: Field Crew Members will be required to physically perform, as needed, any and all tasks assigned to them. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and carry this weight over long distances working in all kinds of weather and walking over uneven terrain. Crew Members will be required to wear appropriate attire for an outdoor setting with exposure to heavy machinery. Boots and appropriate pants are required. FOW will provide Field Crew with shirts, hats, work gloves, masks, and backpacks.