Scheuer Land Management Internship
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
$14/hour; housing may be available
Jan 13, 2021
About the job
The Mohonk Preserve helps to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages ~8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection.
Thom Scheuer, the beloved Head Ranger of Mohonk Preserve from 1972 until his death in 1999, dedicated his work and life to protecting and maintaining the Preserve as a place for world-class outdoor enjoyment within a high-quality ecosystem. Thom’s timeless legacy is that of land stewardship that involves people in a common land ethic.
The 2021 Scheuer Land Management Internship will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to work within our Land Stewardship and Land Protection programs alongside the professionals who ensure that Mohonk Preserve’s lands are managed in a manner that protects their ecological integrity while welcoming visitors who seek a wide variety of recreational experiences. The 2021 Scheuer Intern will:
- gain experience in GPS data collection, processing and compilation with a focus on mapping Mohonk Preserve’s recreational facilities, including buildings, benches, bridges, culverts, and signage.
- assist with monitoring the Preserve’s boundary and may be involved in other ongoing land management projects.
- The position will largely consist of field work but will have an office component.
- The applicant should be comfortable with long days in the field, utilizing various GPS data collection methods.
- Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems is required; additional training will be provided in GPS data collection, analysis, and reporting.
The selected intern will complete a final written deliverable (e.g. report, maps, design plan, survey, etc.), and short oral presentation summarizing their experience and specific project.
Who may apply:Students currently enrolled in their sophomore or junior years of college (or equivalent credit hours) majoring in Outdoor Recreation, Environmental Science, Land and Natural Resource Management, Geography, Forestry, or other related fields of study. Ability to hike a minimum of 7 miles and provide personal gear for the day required (rain gear, appropriate clothing, hiking boots). CPR and First Aid experience is a plus. Driver’s license preferred. Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates.
How to apply: Email the following as a single PDF to Mohonk Preserve Staff, at ScheuerInternship@mohonkpreserve.org
1. A cover letter stating your reasons for pursuing this internship and what you hope to gain as part of your career goals
2. Your current resume
3. Your current transcript (unofficial is OK)
Please include the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. In addition, arrange to have two letters of recommendation emailed to ScheuerInternship@mohonkpreserve.org by the application deadline. Only on-time, complete applications, which includes recommendation letters, will be considered. No phone calls please.
Duration:~10 weeks (summer season; flexible)
Location: Based at Mohonk Preserve Ranger Station (Undercliff House), 3191 Route 44/55, Gardiner, NY
Compensation:$14.00/hour for a maximum of 350 hours; housing may be available; Preserve membership for the duration of the internship.
Application Deadline: February 12, 2021