Restoration Crew Leader
Type of Job
Starting at $43,600
Jul 28, 2021
About the job
The Indiana Chapter is seeking a Restoration Crew Leader to join the team that has been working to restore and
maintain this beautiful landscape; as well as engage with the surrounding communities to reinvigorate the connection
between people and nature. The Restoration Crew Leader will participate in restoration efforts including the
maintenance, management, development, and coordination of conservation programs. They will lead work teams to
meet the objectives of Conservation Strategic Plans, coordinate community support, and implement preserve
management plans. Work may include controlling invasive species; operating and maintaining tools and heavy
equipment; monitoring wildlife; conducting preserve maintenance; identifying and monitoring native and non‐native
species; preparing sites for prescribed burns; and community outreach.
This is a full‐time, hourly position based at the Southern Lake Michigan Rim Office in Merrillville, Indiana. The
compensation range begins at $43,600 and may be commensurate with experience.
Minimum Qualifications & Preferred Qualifications
- BA/BS/AS/Technical or vocational degree in science‐related field and 1‐year related experience in custodial and ecological land management or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with natural systems.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Experience managing volunteers or entry level staff.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Multi‐lingual skills and multi‐cultural or cross‐cultural experience appreciated.
- 1 ‐ 2 years related experience in custodial and ecological land management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 ‐ 2 years related experience in environmental education and/or community outreach.
- Knowledge/understanding of current trends and practices in conservation, land management, and natural resource preservation/conservation or similar field.
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Working knowledge of common software applications (ex: Word, Excel, Web browsers).
- Communicate clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Basic Geographical Information System (GIS) skills.
- Experience operating and or repairing various types of equipment and machinery.
- Experience in ecological land management principles.
We offer a competitive salary with great benefits. For a complete position description and to apply, visit http://www.nature.org/careers and search for Job ID# 50072. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EDT, August 13, 2021.