Research Associate - Contract
Type of Job
Jul 10, 2023
About the job
Location: Flexible within the U.S.
Experience: Experience conducting research in energy advocacy, research, journalism or politics
Summary: The Energy and Policy Institute is seeking a new team member who can help us hold the special interests that are blocking climate and renewable energy progress accountable for their actions. The Research Associate will support our investigations into fossil fuel and utility-aligned interests that spread misinformation about clean energy projects, and obstruct climate action at the state and local level.
About EPI: EPI is a watchdog group that exposes the anti-clean energy, anti-democracy behavior of fossil fuel companies, utilities, and their lobbying and public relations machines. Our team provides communities with the information they need to hold corporations and policymakers accountable when they advocate for cleaner and fairer energy systems.
We are a small, nimble and growing team. The position’s exact responsibilities will be determined in part by the experience and skillset of the candidate.
You might be a great candidate if you have the following demonstrable knowledge, skills and/or experience:
- Experience and demonstrated success doing investigative research and reporting, including following money trails, filing public records requests, and digging through government records and datasets. Sifting through and organizing data and documents.
- Communicating complex information in succinct ways that maximize impact on the political environment.
- An understanding of the basics of energy systems, including the electric power sector, and dynamics surrounding transmission and renewables siting. Technical expertise is valued but not necessary, though a savvy assessment of the political dynamics around energy is preferred.
- An understanding of and ability to articulate how energy systems contribute to inequity and injustice, particularly with regard to marginalized communities (including Black and Indigenous communities, other communities of color, and low-income communities).
- Ability to work independently. Our team is distributed; we collaborate and support each other, but each of us is responsible for creating and executing our own work plans without much supervision.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Ability to learn on the job is essential.
- You have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in previous jobs or daily life.
More about EPI
We are a passionate, fun and supportive team on a mission to accelerate climate progress and to create more equitable and just energy systems. We value our relationships with each other, hard work and a high level of impact.
This position offers competitive benefits: health, vision, and dental insurance; life and disability insurance; a generous vacation package; three months of paid parental leave.
The Energy and Policy Institute is funded by charitable foundations. We do not receive funding from corporations or trade associations.
The Energy and Policy Institute values a diversity of backgrounds and experiences and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace.
We strongly encourage people who identify as women, people of color, gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+ and people with disabilities to apply.
As part of our commitment to inclusivity, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, including a research and writing test, please check the box in the application form.
Salary range: One-year contract term with potential to extend. $55,000 to $65,000
To apply: Please submit an application (including resume and cover letter) within the Google Form below by July 30.
We will be in touch by no later than August 14 to let you know the status of your application and to communicate further steps in our hiring process.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not rules, and if you have most of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply! Experience can refer to paid and unpaid work. Applying gives you an opportunity to be considered.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.