Research & Policy Coordinator
Type of Job
May 23, 2022
About the job
TEXAS CLIMATE JOBS PROJECT: Research & Policy Coordinator
The Texas Climate Jobs Project seeks a dynamic and passionate Research & Policy Coordinator who will help lead statewide efforts to research, formulate, secure, and implement local and state clean energy and climate policies that create good, safe jobs.
Overview of the Organization
The mission of the Texas Climate Jobs Project is to advance a pro-climate, pro-worker agenda in Texas. Through innovative research and policy development; popular education; community engagement; advocacy; and strategic coalition building and partnerships, Texas Climate Jobs Project is engaging in collective action to win substantive policy changes that both protect the climate and create good local jobs.
Texas Climate Jobs Project is part of Fair Shot Texas and the Fair Shot Texas Action Fund, nonprofit partner organizations that were founded in partnership with the Texas AFL-CIO to advance a working families policy agenda in Texas.
The Research & Policy Coordinator responsibilities will include:
- Research: Developing and executing research plans at the intersection of job quality, clean energy, and the response to climate change in Texas.
- Policy development: Developing reports, policy memos, and legislative recommendations for key stakeholders to advance a pro-worker, pro-climate agenda in Texas.
- Campaign support: Utilizing findings to support comprehensive strategic organizing and policy campaigns designed to accelerate our state’s response to climate change and create good, union jobs in the process.
- Data analysis and information management: Compiling and organizing complex data, tracking legislation related to energy, climate, and jobs; analyzing relevant federal grants and programs.
- Administration and Operations: Working with the Executive Director, Campaigns Director, and other staff to support effective administrative and operations functions.
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed
Primary Characteristics and Experience
The Texas Climate Jobs Project Research & Policy Coordinator should be an experienced, passionate advocate for a progressive agenda, a deep believer in the power of unions to lead on economic and climate issues, and committed to meet the existential threat of both global climate change and economic inequality with bold, transformative solutions.
The position will be based in our Austin office with some occasional travel to surrounding cities as needed. The position will depend on a deep understanding of policy analysis and research, along with the ability to use research and synthesize complex information to help our team move progressive, people-focused campaigns and programs.
In addition, the Research & Policy Coordinator should have:
- Substantial experience in labor, grassroots and/or community organizing, campaigns, or related experience;
- Strong experience with legislative and policy advocacy at all levels of government, preferably in Texas;
- A working knowledge and demonstrated commitment to the labor movement;
- Experience in conducting industry and corporate research, and an ability to synthesize and evaluate policy proposals and their impacts;
- A strong desire to understand climate and clean energy policy at the federal, state, and local level, and its impact on our work;
- Experience with tracking and analyzing state legislation, local mandates, and federal programs, and experience with this in a climate or labor setting is a plus;
- Experience with utilizing mapping and data visualization software to bring data to life is a plus;
- An ability to work independently and juggle multiple priorities;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep interest in local policy, politics, and government;
- Flexibility and potential to excel in a fast-paced, quickly-evolving campaign movement that has a diverse and invested group of stakeholders.
Salary: Minimum $55,000, with potential adjustments upward depending on experience. Excellent benefits including healthcare, retirement, and paid leave. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research & Policy Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but applications received before June 17, 2022 will be given preference.
Texas Climate Jobs Project & Fair Shot Texas are committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and veteran or disability statuses. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences with a commitment to building collective union power and working for a better Texas to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.