Regional Coordinator for Bay Area/Central CA
Bay Area/Central CA
Type of Job
Salary dependent on experience.
Apr 30, 2021
About the job
PaintCare Regional Coordinator for Bay Area/Central CA
PaintCare seeks a qualified candidate to assist with maintaining and monitoring the paint stewardship program in California. This position will be located in the Bay Area/Central California and will coordinate the activities of the PaintCare program for a portion of the Bay Area/Central California and surrounding areas as needed.
PaintCare, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was established in 2009 by the American Coatings Association (ACA) to implement state-mandated paint stewardship programs on behalf of paint manufacturers in each state that adopts a paint stewardship law. PaintCare programs are funded by a fee on new paint sales. Funding is used to set up drop-off sites where the public can take leftover paint for recycling, pay for the recycling of this paint, conduct public education, and provide program administration. PaintCare currently runs programs in ten states and the District of Columbia. A program for Washington was recently launched in April 2021, and a New York program is also scheduled to launch in early 2022. Please visit www.paintcare.org for more information.
- Meet and communicate with paint retail stores, municipal household hazardous waste (HHW) programs and other program stakeholders.
- Identify potential paint drop-off sites which will include paint retailers, HHW facilities, solid waste transfer stations and landfills. Explain how to become a PaintCare drop-off site, evaluate their suitability for partnering with PaintCare.
- Set up paint drop-off sites: establish contracts, provide training, coordinate with haulers to arrange transportation of paint from site.
- Monitor drop-off site operations: conduct site visits and audits on a regular schedule or as needed/requested, identify problems and implement corrections, maintain successful relationships with site operators.
- Arrange special collection/transportation from temporary events and from painting contractors, property managers, and other large producers of leftover paint.
- Public outreach: distribute public information materials to drop-off sites upon request, including those retailers that are not drop-off sites, assist PaintCare with monitoring use and usability of materials by sites. Be a highly visible resource in the region for connecting the public with opportunities for reuse and recycling.
- Marketing: Provide local knowledge and insight to marketing/outreach to improve communication initiatives within the region.
- Recordkeeping: maintain computer database of drop-off site information, generate reports as needed.
- Make presentations to small and large groups (e.g., home shows, conferences, trade associations).
- Report to California Program Manager.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with and/or knowledge of hazardous materials, hazardous waste management and programs, hazardous waste laws and regulations, HHW programs, state environmental agencies, hazardous materials/waste storage requirements, hazardous waste transportation and processing.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of retail operations, infrastructure and communications, including big box, chain, franchise, co-op, and independent stores.
- Familiarity with paint products.
- Familiarity and comfort with users of paint, particularly trade painters, contractors, paint retailers and property managers.
- Experience with public speaking, training and/or making presentations.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of product stewardship programs, laws and organizations.
- Ability to work independently from home.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the region to recruit sites, train retail staff, and distribute outreach materials. Occasional travel in California, to Washington D.C. and other locations in the US for trainings, conferences, or meetings.
- Proficiency with computers and typical office software.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
- Valid state driver’s license required.
Location and Travel
This position is located in California. The employee will work from home. The ideal candidate will be located in close proximity to either Fresno or the Bay Area. Extensive travel throughout the State may be required to visit drop-off sites and meet with local stakeholders. Overnight travel time will vary and may exceed 50% of the time. PaintCare has an employee-focused travel policy to allow for flexibility on timing, location, and duration of travel due to COVID-19.
Employment, Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, regular position. Salary depends on experience. PaintCare, through the ACA, provides generous benefits [401(k), vacation days, medical, dental, and life insurance] and reimbursement for travel expenses.
Diversity & Inclusion
PaintCare is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
To apply for this position please visit https://american-coatings-association.breezy.hr/. Please submit a resume, cover letter stating your motivations for applying, and your salary requirement. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.