Project Manager, Safer Chemicals
Type of Job
$68,000 - $76,000 USD/Yr.
Jun 14, 2023
About the job
Washington, D.C., New York, Remote - US
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The Project Manager, Safer Chemicals is a critical support role in the development, execution, and communication of EDF Safer Chemicals initiative projects. The Safer Chemicals initiative seeks to drive significant reductions in the use and exposure to toxic chemicals especially among vulnerable populations and communities at greatest risk by securing lasting solutions that target long-standing inequities in exposures and associated health impacts. The project manager will work across teams, participating on advocacy on chemicals policy as well as managing policy and science projects internally and with external partners. They will also support strategy development, donor communications, and team coordination across the Safer Chemicals Initiative. The Project Manager, Safer Chemicals will report to the Senior Manager, Safer Chemicals and will work closely with senior Health Directors.
- Support EDF Safer Chemicals initiative with focus on relevant policy analysis, writing, and translating environmental health policy work for broader consumption.
- Play a key role in advancing advocacy goals through representing EDF through meetings with policymakers, presentations, interviews, as well as internally with EDF staff.
- Support and manage ongoing projects with internal and external partners, including from academia, NGO partners, industry, and community-based organizations.
- Contribute to strategic planning, donor reports and other communications to current and prospective EDF donors.
- Participate in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity & Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Develop work plans, negotiate project agreements and scopes of work, identify and procure necessary resources, and manage project work and deliverables.
- Develop and apply appropriate means for measuring the success of Safer Chemicals projects.
- Contribute to reports, fact sheets, blog posts, and other materials for general and specific audiences on the topics of focus.
- In addition to these responsibilities, the Project Manager will play an integral role in other activities including fundraising, project evaluation, identifying new opportunities, thought-leadership development, meeting facilitation, and disseminating and communicating sector results.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of related experience or advanced degree (preferably Master of Public Health or Master of Environmental Science) with 2 more years of related work experience in environmental health, policy analysis, environmental advocacy or related fields.
- A broad understanding of environmental health science and policy including the health impacts of chemical exposure and environmental justice; familiarity with EPA regulatory policy and/or the Toxic Substances Control Act preferred.
- Experience managing relationships and working in partnerships, including with community-based organizations, to support more inclusive policy development and implementation.
- An ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of small teams in an energetic and creative environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and experience supporting highly visible work.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle many tasks and deadlines and to respond quickly to changing opportunities in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
$68,000 - $76,000 USD/Yr.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: