Project Development Manager
Type of Job
Jul 21, 2022
About the job
Sol Systems is seeking a Project Development Manager to join our Sol Customer Solutions team. This person will be a part of our growing Development group, managing development of contracted commercial PV projects primarily in California, but potentially in other states in the western US as well (Arizona, etc.). This individual will be responsible for working cross-functionally across and in close coordination with multiple business and support groups, while managing 3rd party consultants and stakeholders to secure necessary approvals and permits to facilitate construction and operations of solar PV systems.
Sol Systems is an Energy and Impact transition partner with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base. We have financed or developed over $2 billion of solar energy assets to date. As a leading renewable energy developer, financier, trader and operator, Sol empowers entrepreneurs to have a meaningful impact on the world with a focus on catalyzing the development and operation of sustainable infrastructure.
- Confidently leading the project team to develop commercial solar and storage assets from award to construction start. Including creating development plans and creating/maintaining schedule and budget throughout the development phase.
- Soliciting, qualifying, and managing external consulting and engineering resources to develop an asset in a manner that meets timelines and budgets, and mitigates development and construction risk in concert with prudent industry standards.
- Actively working with the Origination team to qualify new opportunities with respect to risk, cost, and timeline to obtain all required permits and approvals to construct the proposed project.
- Outlining, through previous experience and new research, the process that will enable a project to achieve “right to build and operate”. This may include discretionary and/or environmental permitting and approvals at local, state, and/or national levels, interconnection, and site control.
- Researching and networking within new markets to understand the solar project development process and to apply those efforts for new origination efforts.
- Building strategic partnerships with development partners and consultants to expand capabilities and increase knowledge base.
- Collaboration and coordination with finance, engineering, construction, and asset management teams to ensure that key requirements, stakeholders, and milestones are built into execution plans, and internal alignment is achieved as we approach notice to proceed.
- Building and improving internal process improvement, systems integration, and improving the quality of work products.
Required Skills: The ideal candidate will be hard working, extremely organized, detail and process-oriented, personable, and have the ability to multi-task in order to accomplish assignments in a timely manner.
A successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant engineering, science, or management discipline.
- 2+ years combined successful track record in land development for energy projects in California and experience securing discretionary/environmental permits and site control, or relevant experience
- 2+ years solar PV industry experience within the California market
- Experience managing the Utility Interconnection process for commercial PV projects in California
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills. Actively understands audience and manages messaging and delivery appropriately.
- Is resourceful, curious, and willing to explore all avenues and means to engage decision makers and engage in local process to help define the development plan for any given asset
- Proactively engage and inform internal and external stakeholders and comfortable making decisions or recommending decisions in order to mitigate risk or progress projects forward
- Ability to summarize complex issues and convey information such that it invites and enables key decision making and efficiency of process.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with multiple disciplines including finance, engineering, construction, operations, and project origination.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of time to support projects and attend meetings and conferences
- Is respectful and considerate of others, works honestly and values company culture
- High energy, self-starter and thrives within a team environment. Enjoys problem solving in a dynamic industry where standards are not yet institutionalized.
Location & Hours: This is a full-time role and will be based in California. Approximately 6 trips per year to our Washington, DC headquarters are anticipated.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, the SCS team provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Deadline: We hope to hire for these positions immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other traits. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.