New York, NY
Type of Job
May 25, 2021
About the job
Urban Green Council educational programs are the go-to resource for the region’s sustainability community: architects, engineers, contractors, tradespeople, policymakers, nonprofit leaders, energy consultants, and building owners and operators. Over 3,000 people attend our 40-plus annual events and conference on climate policy, green technologies, advancements in building practices, and changes to codes. The Programs Coordinator will play a key role in ensuring the success of these activities.
The Programs Coordinator will manage the day-to-day functions of the department, support the creation and execution of live and recorded panels, educational events, and online courses for building professionals.
This job will begin as a remote position but will be required to be onsite for events and program at the Urban Green Offices and other locations in NYC once safe to do so.
The person who will best succeed in this role:
● Feels a sense of ownership to get things done; a partner on the team who sees it as their responsibility to manage projects and deliver programs on time.
● Is a process thinker with an eye toward continuous improvement; one who is always wondering how to make everyday things work more effectively, from improving the flow of an event, to rethinking how we recruit volunteers.
● Is a problem-solver who thrives in small “start-up” environments--where not everything is already figured out--and creatively solves problems. They see gaps or unmet needs and find solutions. They anticipate roadblocks and potential problems in advance and have a plan to address them.
A few other qualities we're looking for include:
● Great organizational skills. This person enjoys handling details and can methodically create, manage and implement multiple projects running in parallel.
● Authentic enthusiasm. This person is passionate about sustainability and bringing quality programming to our audience. Their interest in green building is genuine, and they value building long-term industry relationships. They enjoy supervising and providing feedback to interns and volunteers as well as connecting with members of our audience to better understand the types of programming we should be developing.
● Expert communication skills. The Programs Coordinator should have excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal skills. They know when and what to communicate to their team and to other organizational stakeholders. Whether it’s about changes to a schedule or a script, they know how to clearly articulate the plan and check for understanding among all parties.
The responsibilities of the Programs Coordinator will evolve over time, but current key duties and responsibilities include:
● Event Coordination and Outreach – Develop and coordinate approximately 40 live and live streamed seminars and tours including our annual conference, promote widely using existing and new outreach channels, and ensure events run smoothly.
○ Support the Director of Education in the development of innovative program content that integrates with the larger Education
department’s goals and objectives.
○ Manage all aspects of online programming and courses, including presentation preparation, speaker coordination, scheduling, event
promotion, and securing continuing education credits.
○ Represent Urban Green at events by welcoming speakers and guests, making public announcements, and introducing speakers.
○ Lead the implementation of event logistics including coordinating registration and check-in, computer and AV requirements, and
refreshments. For online events, ensure technology is working and all staff and presenters know how to use it.
○ Serve as the main point of contact for event-related inquiries for attendees, speakers, staff, and volunteers.
○ Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations to expand our audience by cross-promoting events;
○ Collect and analyze post-event evaluations and statistics, including attendee surveys, to guide future programming.
● Volunteer Outreach and Management – Coordinate Monthly Programs Committee that advises on event content, and lead Urban Green’s Emerging Professionals Committee (EP). Responsibilities include:
○ Direct MPC activities, including planning for, coordinating and facilitating committee meetings
○ Ensure programs align with our strategic plan and organizational objectives;
○ Recruit, select, and onboard a diverse group of committee members annually;
○ Plan engaging events for EP committee members;
○ Capture meeting minutes, managing document sharing with members, and confirming next steps are completed.
● Video Content and Delivery (experience highly desirable)
○ Manage onsite video technology at our new event space.
○ Work with industry experts to lead the creation of new and relevant short online courses on specific topics, which will be integrated into
Urban Green’s online Learning Management System.
○ Edit and produce video content for online courses.
○ Manage relationships with external producers for large-scale events.
● General Support – Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Benefits and Compensation
The salary range for this position is $45,000 - $50,000 and offers will be made commensurate to experience. Benefits include:
● 100% employee coverage for medical and dental
● 401k with 4% employer match
● 15 vacation days in your first year, 8 paid holidays, and 2 personal days
● Office closure between Christmas and New Years
● Early closure on Fridays during the summer
● 100% employee coverage for Life, Short Term and Long Term disability insurance
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Urban Green Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please fill out this application form. You may contact with any questions. The first round of interviews will take place the week of June 7th. If we are interested in moving forward with your application, our team will reach out.
Urban Green’s Organizational Values:
● Excellence: We strive for innovative high-quality programs and ideas.
● Inclusion: The diverse voices and backgrounds of our employees, board of directors, members, and partners make us stronger.
● Collaboration: We believe consensus delivers better solutions and teamwork is essential to our success.
● Engagement: We promote a culture of performance, participation, and curiosity.