Anywhere in the United States
Type of Job
Nov 15, 2022
About the job
The Program Manager (PM) role is key to the successful delivery of the Earthwatch mission. At Earthwatch, PMs are responsible for managing partner relationships and delivering programs to time, budget, global mission priorities and protocols and a high standard of quality. PMs hold responsibility for the management and delivery of a portfolio of field research projects, grant programs, or a combination of both.
Note: Specific tasks, projects and programs are distributed across Program Managers as needed for organizational effectiveness.
For a portfolio of programs, funded by individuals, foundations, corporations, or other partners:
- Provide excellent relationship management with funding partners, in collaboration with the Development team
- Manage all aspects of funded program delivery to a high standard, including:Establishing clear program goals, objectives, deliverables, and delivery timeline
Agreeing and managing appropriate partner communication and reporting processes
Creating and managing grant budgets; approving and tracking all associated expenses
Collaborating with a variety of stakeholders, such as scientists and Environmental Education Manager, to deliver successful virtual and in-person learning programs for a range of participants (primarily corporate audiences).
Monitoring program impacts using surveys and other tools, and communicating results to funders through the creation of high-quality reports
Delivering in-field programs, as required, and depending on experience.
Supporting the expansion of programs to other audiences including teachers, students, scientists, NGOs, universities, corporations, and foundations
- Work closely with the Development team on the creation and renewal of funded programs, including:Supporting the writing of grant proposals
Seeking ways to align mission and funder priorities for mutual benefit
Providing feedback on new program ideas, particularly in the areas of program cost, resource utilization, and interaction with existing programs
Research Project Management
For a portfolio of participatory science projects, including Global Pollinator Watch and a community-based air quality monitoring project:
- Serve as the primary liaison between Earthwatch and the project scientists, acting as the ‘go to’ contact point and advocate for each project
- Manage all aspects of project delivery to a high standard, including:Finances—program/project budgets, scientist, and partner payments
Health and safety—risk assessments, emergency response plans, etc.
Contract negotiation, including setting annual team dates and budgets
Site visits, as required and depending on experience
Training project and Earthwatch staff on Earthwatch protocols as needed
- Create and annually revise detailed expedition Briefings to disclose risk, describe research and prepare volunteers for fielding
- Develop, renew, and retire projects in accordance with Earthwatch protocols and industry standards
- Provide internal evaluation and feedback on each project
- Work closely with the Research, Communications, and Sales teams to support each project’s success
- Serve as an active member of the International Incident Management Team
- Promote a culture of safety internally and externally
- Serve as 24-hour on call Duty Officer 3–6 weeks per year
- Coordinate incident management associated with projects managed; participate in incident management for other programs as needed.
- As needed and depending on experience, PMs may manage direct reports, such as Program Coordinator(s), consultants, interns, or volunteers. Line management responsibilities include recruiting, retaining, and developing talent; setting clear objectives and giving constructive feedback; engaging and inspiring them around Earthwatch’s mission and business goals.
- Bachelors’ degree (science, environmental studies, international business, non-profit management, or related field preferred) or equivalent life experience
- 3–5 years of experience in NGO sector, including working globally across regions
- Experience in corporate social responsibility and/or administration of community-based programming
- Proven track record in managing complex projects and programs
- Ability to communicate with and develop good relationships at all levels, presenting information in varying degrees of technicality/ detail as the audience dictates
- Excellent written communication skills in English, and ability to communicate effectively with remote audiences (PIs, partners, and colleagues)
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues in a remote environment
- Ability to find creative ideas and solutions which overcome obstacles and add value
- Ability to manage one’s time, meet deadlines and set priorities
- Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values
- Experience with Microsoft Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) a plus
- Fluency/High level of proficiency in another language (particularly Spanish) a plus
- Ability to travel 1–2 weeks per year preferred
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Earthwatch, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
To apply, please submit one document in the resume field below containing all of the following items to: https://earthwatch.org/about/jobs-internships/program-manager
- A cover letter illustrating your qualifications and why you are interested in this position
- A current resume, detailing relevant experience