Type of Job
About the job
Please apply here:
- Develops and monitors daily operations and coordinates program/project activities to advance achievement of ASU sustainability goals and metrics.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to:Work with internal stakeholders and external strategic partners to develop sustainability solutions that fit operational needs.
Critically analyze, evaluate, and recommend changes to university policies and procedures to advance sustainability at ASU.
Develop and support “campus as a living lab” research projects through collaborating with faculty, students and staff.
Manage student workers from various disciplines to help research, design, test and implement solutions, as well as run programs.
Educate, motivate, and empower employees to implement sustainability solutions within their departments.
Support internal and external departmental reporting through data collection, analysis and outreach.
Establish and maintain relationships across the university to advance sustainability goals.
Support and serve as liaison to partners within Facilities Development and Management, Zero Waste, the Global Futures Laboratory, etc. to advance staff, faculty and student engagement around sustainability.
Create written communications and presentations for, and present to, students, faculty, staff, senior executives, donors and the public.
Work with communications and engagement teams to create awareness and adoption of sustainability solutions and behavior change.
Support engagement events as needed.
Bachelor's degree in a related field AND five years administrative/coordination experience; OR, Master's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND three years administrative/coordination experience; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a graduate degree in sustainability, environmental studies/sciences, engineering, public policy, public administration, business administration or a related field
- Evidence of knowledge of processes to conduct needs assessments
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills including but not limited to: policy analysis, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, effective and efficient problem solving competencies
- Experience in working effectively with diverse stakeholder groups and interdisciplinary teams in a cross-matrixed (versus hierarchical) environment
- Demonstrated skill in planning, budgeting, implementing and evaluating projects, including development and tracking of metrics
- Experience developing proposals for funding of projects
- Project management experience
- Ability to implement training, session reviews, and follow-up procedures
- Experience translating complex sustainability and/or scientific topics to educate diverse audiences
- Experience supervising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students
- Evidence of public speaking, report writing, communication to executives and presentation development experience
- Activities are primarily performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Some work involves travel between offices or campuses for meetings and occasional participation in outdoor or off-campus events in compliance with Community of Care standards.
- Occasional out-of-state or in-state travel.
- Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities that may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear required to perform essential functions.
University Sustainability Practices (USP) is charged with ensuring that the 140,000+ members of the ASU community achieve their aggressive, internal sustainability goals associated with Climate Positive, Circular Resource System, Optimized Water, Personal Action, Collaborative Action, Food Reconnection, Community Success, and Resilience & Regeneration. USP also coordinates ASU sustainability measurement & reporting, celebration of achievement and integration of the university’s research, education and social embeddedness mission with university operations in a “campus as a living laboratory” model for sustainability. Arizona State University is a leader in putting sustainability into action and this role is key to helping USP take that leadership to a new level.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU University Sustainability Practices will not be a sponsor for this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.