Program Legal Assistant
Type of Job
Oct 27, 2021
About the job
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Legal Assistant to work in the Climate & Clean Energy Program in our Washington, DC office. The Legal Assistant will provide administrative support to the Climate & Clean Energy Federal Legal Group, such as: budget and grants management; invoice and contracts processing; scheduling of meetings/conference calls; and booking travel arrangements. The Legal Assistant will also provide support for the team’s litigation work, such as: preparing and proofreading legal documents and correspondence; maintaining case files and case calendars; and executing service of court filings.
Administrative support duties include:
- Processing invoices and expense reports, and tracking project budget expenses and revenue;
- Formatting, copying, scanning, mailing, and faxing documents;
- Scheduling meetings and booking travel;
- Editing, formatting, and proofreading documents and presentations; and
- Providing general administrative support and help with ad hoc projects as needed.
Litigation support duties include:
- Preparing, proofreading, and fact-checking documents to be filed in court;
- Preparing and executing service of court filings;
- Researching and summarizing court rules;
- Drafting and proofreading basic legal correspondence (cover letters, notices, etc.);
- Maintaining up-to-date case files (including electronic, hard copy, and archived off-site);
- Maintaining case calendars; and
- Interviewing NRDC members to support anticipated and pending litigation.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 1-2 years of previous administrative or paralegal experience or equivalent preferred;
- Outstanding organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail, including strong proofreading skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, organize and coordinate multiple tasks, set priorities, follow institutional procedures, and perform quickly and accurately under deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work discreetly with sensitive information;
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; and
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
- Minimum 2-year commitment strongly preferred.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Salary ranges from a minimum of $50,000 to a $58,000 midpoint. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.