Type of Job
$48,000 - $55,000
Apr 18, 2021
About the job
Job Description – Program Director, WV Rivers
The West Virginia Rivers Coalition (WV Rivers) seeks a full-time Program Director to provide overall leadership in the areas of program development and implementation, fundraising, and administration. WV Rivers was founded by outdoor enthusiasts who care deeply about the Mountain State’s renowned free-flowing waters and scenic beauty. Our mission is to conserve and restore West Virginia’s exceptional rivers and streams. We believe that clean water is the foundation of life, and that all people should respect and be able to enjoy clean West Virginia rivers and streams.
The Program Director is a senior-level full-time position that provides overall leadership for program development and implementation; is responsible for program grants development and oversight, outcomes and decision-making; leads building of strategic partnerships and coalitions, and supports organization operations.
We seek a solutions-focused relationship-builder who is experienced in working program development, implementation and evaluation. The ability to balance long-term projects and priorities with short-term needs is a must. Flexibility and a results-orientation are also key to success in this position as is an understanding of programmatic work and how to connect it to grant outcomes.
Strong candidates will have significant work experience in program development and management and in grants management and compliance. This position requires building and maintaining collaborative partnerships with organizations across the state. A history of working in West Virginia is extremely beneficial. General working knowledge of issues related to the organization’s mission of conserving and restoring rivers and streams is required; regional or state level knowledge is preferred.
The Program Director manages a team of 3-5 staff members and will oversee performance management, professional development, and work plan development for each team member. The Program Director reports to the Executive Director.
The Program Director has responsibilities across three main areas of work:
Program Management and Development
- Provide direction and operational oversight on all mission-related programs, including developing and managing program budgets.
- Identify and pursue new strategic partnership opportunities.
- Maintain and expand existing collaborative partnerships.
- Ensure timely and accurate program reporting, including progress and financial reporting.
- Provide timely and informative program updates to the executive director and the board of directors.
- Provide leadership, accountability, direct supervision, and performance management for all program staff.
- With communications staff, ensure all programs are operating in alignment with the WV Rivers communications plan.
- Support the organization’s strategic direction by contributing to and developing programs that advance the mission.
- Serve as a voice for WV Rivers in partnerships, in relationships with funders, and in front of various public audiences.
- Establish management-level expertise in the issues, challenges, technologies, and partners across all programs.
- Support and occasionally lead staff engagement activities.
Fundraising & Grants Compliance
- Collaborate with the executive director and development staff to secure grant funding necessary to operate and expand programs.
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities.
- Manage proposal process and submission deadlines.
- Oversee tracking of grant expenditures and deliverables (i.e. grants compliance).
- An understanding of programmatic work and how that work connects to grant outcomes.
- A commitment to relational work and related experience in building partnerships and relationships.
- Experience in managing a team of 3 - 5 people in a remote environment.
- Background knowledge of WV Rivers’ key program issue areas.
- Experience in developing and managing program and grant budgets.
- Success in writing grant proposals and reports, with a focus on compelling storytelling to convey activities and outcomes.
- Ability to work autonomously.
Desired Experience and Attributes:
- At least five years of experience in program management, personnel management, and grant management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – including, effective persuasive communication to inspire action, diplomatic communication to foster trust and respect, and clear and direct communication to increase organizational efficiencies.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products, including experience in Excel budget worksheets.
- General comfort and confidence with working in technologies designed for remote working environments.
- West Virginia residency, with a preference for location in/near the Charleston area.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel outside of regular business hours as needed.
- A commitment to equity and justice and in supporting WV Rivers’ growth in this area.
- A strong passion for WV Rivers’ mission.
The salary range for this position is $48,000 - $55,000 and is dependent upon experience and qualifications. We ask that candidates consider this range before applying. WV Rivers offers a competitive benefits package that includes 80% employer-paid health insurance, beginning paid leave of up to 35 days annually, an employer contribution to a retirement plan, and a monthly telework stipend. This is a full-time, exempt position.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. WV Rivers does not accept solicitations from job placement and recruitment services. No phone calls, please.
About West Virginia Rivers Coalition
Today, the WV Rivers is the statewide voice for water-based recreation and clean, drinkable, swimmable, and fishable rivers and streams–from the headwaters to wherever water flows in West Virginia. We’re also the West Virginia state affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation and a licensed program of Waterkeeper Alliance.
WV Rivers aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity at WV Rivers translates into understanding and valuing all perspectives in order to fully accomplish our mission and vision for clean water for all. Candidates must share a commitment to fostering values of diversity, inclusion, equity in justice in all aspects of our programming and advocacy.