Program Coordinator (Special Use Facilitator)
Type of Job
$20.62 to $25.07
Jul 28, 2021
About the job
The Program Coordinator (Special Use Facilitator) position will be based out of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and will perform a wide variety of administrative support functions associated with venue services including clerical duties, sales and marketing support as well as special event rentals at the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and adjacent areas.
This position requires a highly motivated, responsible, organized and self-starter individual who can handle an array of tasks, has good judgement and can make decisions, and works independently or as part of a team. The individual must be able to come up with multiple solutions to any given problem, in areas that may be outside their expertise, and be willing to take on uncertain challenges.
This is an administrative position for a person at an intermediate level. The work performed will support the MRCA’s operation of nature parks within greater Los Angeles, land acquisition and capital improvement Workprograms, and other efforts related to public access, open space conservation, habitat restoration, and urban park development.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, at-will position.
This position reports to the Chief of Developed Resources.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
· Handles all aspects of coordinating special use of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and adjacent areas.
· Maintains calendars for those venues in coordination with site and filming managers.
· Coordinates agency and tenant use of the facility.
· Schedules all events including meetings, retreats, fundraisers and weddings.
· Develops marketing strategies to generate more revenue.
· Prepares and monitors billing for all events.
· Collects and processes payments for deposit.
· Performs reconciliation of permits, including refunds.
· Maintains revenue records, permits and other files.
· Provides input on maintenance and improvement projects for the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and adjacent areas.
· Coordinates with operations staff and confirms scheduling of events.
· Provides clerical support for supervisory and administrative staff.
· Conducts venue tours as needed.
· Analyze, verify and obtain payment approvals for invoices.
· Work closely with vendors and other stakeholders.
· Maintain good habits of answering and responding to incoming telephone calls, correspondence, and when communicating and providing customer service to citizens who seek assistance.
· Maintain positive relationships with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations, and the public at large.
· Perform related duties as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, occasionally move about inside the office to access supplies and office machinery, frequently communicate and exchange information, review handwritten, electronic and facsimile documents, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery. The employee must occasionally move items weighing up to 20 pounds inside the office.
Required Hours and Location
Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week with some scheduling flexibility. Occasional overtime work in evenings or weekends upon prior approval by supervisor. The position will work out of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens but may be required to travel to various other locations.
As public parklands, the majority of MRCA properties are open to the general public during operating hours. This position is likely to have physical contact with members of the public in public areas such as parking lots and shared public/office restrooms and during in-person public meetings. The MRCA is committed to protecting its staff by ensuring appropriate physical distancing and proper infection control while supporting equitable access to services. Our requirements are based on the current County of Los Angeles guidance, and are subject to change as the County updates their policies.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and Experience
· Associate degree or its equivalent and three years of experience in related field.
· Common Windows-based programs including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
· Office practices and procedures.
· Prioritize varying tasks and projects and manage multiple projects at once.
· Work independently to handle multiple tasks under deadlines.
· Revise work approach to address changed conditions.
· Complete projects and follow oral and written directions.
· Quickly change tasks and focus.
· Learn technical material.
· Consistently follow established procedures.
· Innovate and improve processes.
· Learn new software including WordPerfect.
· Exercise discretion and sensitivity to confidential information.
· Respond quickly to changes in policy and priority.
· Participate in events and other activities as required.
· Work at various agency locations.
· Strong follow-through on assignments.
· Must be flexible to work a schedule that may include evenings and weekdays.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
Candidates must have a valid California driver’s license in good standing with a satisfactory driving record. Employees must be willing to participate in agency emergency response. Bilingual skills in English and another locally common language, such as Spanish, Korean, Farsi, Chinese, Armenian, Yiddish, or Tagalog is highly desired.
All appointment offers are contingent upon the following:
· Background check including submission of fingerprints to Department of Justice, and a record clean of violent crimes or felonies.
· Successful completion of a physical examination including a drug test.
· Verification of the right to work in the United States.
The range of hourly rates for this position is $20.62 to $25.07.
Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of its employees and their families. Eligibility for benefits varies depending on the category of employment and how long the employee has worked. Our employees have access to several benefits, including:
· Paid Leave: Vacation, Holidays, Sick Leave
· Retirement and Deferred Compensation option
· Health/Dental Flexible Spending Account
· Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
· Life Insurance
· Employee Assistance Program
MRCA offers both Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans for Medical and Dental. A Vision Plan and Life Insurance is included with all options. Eligible employees may enroll in a 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan and Flexible Spending Accounts for dependent care and health/dental care. MRCA contracts with the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) to provide a defined benefits program for eligible employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume and letter of interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 323-843-9838, ATTN: Zagreb De La Torre with “Program Coordinator (Special Use Facilitator)” included as a subject. No phone calls, please. The acceptance of your application will depend on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the minimum requirements. Please contact us if you need an accommodation in the recruitment process or an alternate format of this announcement.
The position is open to the public for all qualified applicants. Depending on the applicant pool, not all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be selected to continue in the recruitment process. This position will remain open until filled. The eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill this vacancy and other vacancies in the future.
All notifications will be sent to the phone number or e-mail address provided on your application or resume. Candidates are responsible for providing a valid phone number and/or e-mail address.
All information is subject to verification at any point during the recruitment process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or withdrawal of appointment.
The Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA) was created in 1985 with a mission to protect and preserve park and open space lands surrounding Los Angeles and is a joint powers authority between the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, the Conejo Recreation and Park District and the Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District. These public agencies work together to preserve open spaces, natural wilderness and wildlife habitat of the Los Angeles and Ventura County metropolitan regions and to make these lands accessible to all residents of Southern California.
Connect with us: www.mrca.ca.gov
The MRCA is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, age, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions) sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or any other basis protected by law.
This job announcement is not intended to, and does not, create an employment contract of any kind and does not create any express or implied contractual obligations. Employment at MRCA is at-will without exception. The employee and MRCA may terminate employment at any time with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked at any time without notice.