Program Coordinator, Office of the Chief Scientist
Boulder, Austin, Boston, New York, Remote - US, San Francisco, Washington, D.C.
Type of Job
56,000 - 63,000 USD
Sep 28, 2022
About the job
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS) is the nexus of science at EDF, ensuring that all EDF positions are based on the best available natural and social science. OCS leads EDF’s exploration of emerging issues, pioneers new projects, provides programmatic support for all scientists at EDF and fosters relationships with scientists outside the organization.
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a Program Coordinator who will provide key programmatic and administrative support to OCS. The Program Coordinator will work on tasks related to project tracking, scheduling, invoicing/contracts, communications, and meeting/event planning. This role is part of the larger operational team within OCS. The Program Coordinator reports to the Senior Director of Operations and works closely in a team environment within OCS. Close collaboration and independent judgment are required to help plan, prioritize, organize and execute the workload within this busy program. This is an excellent opportunity to develop core management, organizational and communications skills and provide vital operational support to advance environmental and public health goals.
- Manage schedules, organize meetings, conference calls and video conferences for the senior leaders of the OCS team, including managing the OCS Zoom account
- Process expense reports and submit program-related invoices
- Administer and help draft contracts for consultants or other vendors
- Schedule and manage logistics for expert workshops, program retreats, project meetings, webinars, conference calls, and other events, including reserving meeting spaces, arranging catering, travel and hotel accommodations for meeting participants, and other tasks as needed
- Asist with tracking OCS hiring from posting JDs to onboarding new staff, update all OCS staff bios for edf.org annually and upon hire, and update the organizational chart
- Maintain well-organized and accessible files for the OCS team
- Manage the peer-reviewed publications database, including checking the EDF pubs email account and requesting submissions
- Track external meetings in Salesforce for senior OCS staff
- Build program engagement by sending OCS communication emails and maintaining OCS email listservs
- Apply excellent organizational, communication and planning skills in preparing written products, responding to information requests, and helping coordinate and track activities among staff members
- Attend internal and external meetings and document and track key takeaways, next steps, and resource or research needs
- Assist with research and analysis related to key program goals
- Collaborate on preparation and distribution of reports and other written materials
- Work with Supervisor on operational tasks for the OCS team
- Perform miscellaneous administrative duties as needed
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of relevant work experience in fast-paced, detail-oriented environment, or advanced degree with 1 or more years of experience
- Excellent organizational and administrative abilities and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with diverse colleagues and partners, and to prioritize and handle diverse, simultaneous tasks under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proficiency in the use of IBM PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.); experience with Salesforce a plus
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Willingness to travel periodically and work with teams across different time zones
- Interest in environmental advocacy a plus
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 56,000 - 63,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.