Type of Job
Jun 30, 2023
About the job
Earthwatch is an international nonprofit organization that connects people with scientists to improve the health and sustainability of the planet. Since its founding in 1971, Earthwatch has empowered more than 200,000 participants to take action to address global change through a time-tested model of participatory science* and community engagement. By pairing volunteers with researchers around the world, Earthwatch teams have helped to safeguard critical habitats, conserve biodiversity, and promote the sustainable use of natural resources.
Earthwatch is a remote first company with 80% of staff working fully remote.
Earthwatch is seeking an organized and adaptable Program Coordinator responsible for supporting in the creation and delivery of participatory science programs. Coordinators are responsible for preparing participants and coordinating logistics for programs as well as stewarding relationships with scientists and partners. These programs range from 1-day domestic events up to 2-week expeditions in various countries around the world.
The successful candidate will possess exemplary customer service, task management and communication skills. The role requires creativity and flexibility in a dynamic environment. They will work closely with a team of Program Managers, Coordinators, and international programmatic partners to deliver on the Earthwatch mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Field incoming phone calls from general inquiries, potential and current participants during set business hours
· Collect and screen participant forms and other materials as appropriate
· Conduct outreach and run applications for grant-funded programs, including, but not limited to our Girls in Science program
· Coordinate events logistics (food, venue, transport arrangements, webinars etc.)
· Work across departments to resolve participant requests and questions
· Assist Program Managers with maintaining strong relationships with scientists, funders, and partner organizations
· Collect and distribute materials to and from partners (research contracts, risk management documents etc.)
· Support the creation and dissemination of key program materials (project briefing, flyers, emails, website, etc.)
· Maintain program and participant data in CRM database
· Embrace other program delivery and performance roles, as needed
· At least 1 year of work experience preferably in the non-profit sector, environment, education, sustainability, field research or customer service or any combination of higher education or lived or related experiences
· Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail and accountability
· Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with program participants, members of the general public, and staff of varied cultural backgrounds
· Experience with balancing multiple priorities and working independently to meet deadlines
· Experience with facilitating and developing curriculum for experiential learning programs is a plus
· Spanish language proficiency is a plus
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Earthwatch is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your past experiences don’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
· 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match
· Health insurance with health reimbursement, dental, and vision insurance and flexible spending accounts
· 100% employer paid life, long term disability and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, employee assistance program, and short-term disability insurance
· 20 days paid time off to start; 13 paid holidays; parental leave
· Professional development opportunities include: mentor program, internal and external training, professional development grant program, conferences and more
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via: https://earthwatch.org/about/jobs-internships/program-coordinator
No phone calls please. Due to limited resources, we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and change-making. Opportunities are provided to all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national or regional origin, age, disability status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
Background checks may be required for some roles, including but not limited to roles working with minors and/or with human resource, finance, or information technology responsibilities.
COVID vaccinations: Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for: employees or interns to enter the physical office, conduct travel for Earthwatch, and/or meet in person with Earthwatch employees, interns, or other constituents.
* The citizen science community is becoming increasingly aware of the importance of inclusive language and its impact on audiences and communities. By moving away from terms like "citizen" in favor of alternatives such as "collaborative science" or "participatory science," we aim to address the adverse connotations associated with citizenship, which can exclude people who are not legal citizens. This shift in language recognizes the importance of diverse perspectives and broad public participation, regardless of citizenship status.