Remote - United States
Type of Job
Feb 13, 2024
About the job
Job Title: Program Associate
Salary Range: $60k-$65k annually
Application Procedure: Please include a resume and cover letter in a combined PDF or Word file.
Who We Are
Sunstone Strategies is a mission-driven communications and public affairs firm focused on equitable solutions to the climate crisis. We lead state and federal communications campaigns to phase out the nation's largest sources of fossil fuel pollution.
Sunstone was established in 2018, but our roots run deep—with a staff that pulls from decades of experience in issue communications, justice-oriented advocacy and climate policy. Sunstoners offer a rare mix of policy expertise, campaign strategy, digital communications and the best public relations skills in the business.
About the Role
We’re looking for an exceedingly competent, climate policy-obsessed addition to our team who is eager to strengthen their communications, PR and/or public affairs chops. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn from climate leaders and engage your skills by working on campaigns on behalf of diverse coalitions and stakeholders to secure climate policy advancement.
The ideal candidate has an interest in federal and state climate policy politics and in learning how to design and lead communications strategies for social change - with a driving passion for undoing the social license of the fossil fuel industry. Our issue areas include: the transition to 100% clean energy, pollution-free buildings, and zero-emission cars and trucks.
We are looking for a self-starter with strong attention to detail, and a determination to develop professionally, while exemplifying human-centered values as an overall reflection of the work.
- Work closely with internal team members and partner organizations to develop and implement joint communications strategies across multiple issue campaigns.
- Support and coordinate earned media and press outreach: identify and pitch news items and lead proactive communications and associated rapid response efforts.
- Support paid media strategies in collaboration with partners and Sunstone’s digital team.
- Conduct research with the ability to distill key points and offer strategic insights on the information gathered.
- Develop and edit high-quality media materials, including press releases, media advisories, and pitches.
- Maintain media lists, and develop and foster relationships with key reporters.
- Draft messaging materials and background briefing documents.
- Develop and manage the production of print and digital collateral, including fact sheets, infographics, short videos and websites.
- Draft and distribute social media content and oversee social media production for campaign teams.
- Monitor campaign issues, legislative, regulatory and political developments, as well as media and social media trends, to keep the team informed on issue areas.
- Regularly report on work to Sunstone team, clients, and funders.
Sunstone values the unique contributions each individual candidate may provide. We encourage candidates who may not fulfill the qualifications listed below to still apply!
- 0-3 years of experience with focused work in communications, public relations or campaigning, preferably with increasing responsibility in a role related to climate change.
- Interest in or familiarity with policies related to the climate and energy sectors.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Experience with digital strategy and a knowledge of emerging digital marketing and communication trends.
- Commitment to elevating the views of diverse communities and working across lines of race, class, gender and geography and an analysis of how climate change and energy-related issues intersect with historically oppressed and marginalized communities.
- Ability to analyze complex policy issues and communicate them in a compelling, easy-to-digest manner for diverse audiences to encourage and drive coalition support.
- Ability to learn on the job, meet strict deadlines, juggle many competing priorities and work well under pressure.
- Openness to giving and receiving direct, compassionate feedback.
- Highly reliable, organized and self-motivated.
- High level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness, with ability to engage empathetically.
Why Choose Sunstone?
Sunstone is a team of seasoned high-performers, dedicated to delivering unparalleled campaign communications support to partners. Our partners turn to us for our policy campaign expertise and ability to do what it takes to further the climate movement and to develop and lead winning media strategies.
While we work on the edge of what most think is impossible, we take care of ourselves and one another. We hold a highly effective and distinctive work practice, that is diligent and one that equitably centers care.
Our Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Climate Justice:
Sunstone Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to transparent and equitable recruitment, hiring and promotion processes that foster inclusion and belonging. The climate movement has long suffered from, and been less effective, due the absence of partnership with impacted communities and racial and social justice movements.
We believe that diversity in our team is not just a value but brings different lived experience and perspective that is essential to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage applicants from communities that have been underrepresented in this space to apply for this position. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package, which includes:
- 100% employee health, vision and dental coverage
- 4 weeks vacation/paid time off
- 10 days of sick/personal leave
- 12 paid holidays
- Automatic 5% 401k employer contribution after 3 months of continual employment that is 100% vested
- One-time, $500 home office stipend
Applicants may submit their materials here: https://jobs.gusto.com/postings/sunstone-strategies-program-associate-f4255459-8520-45e5-b38b-07545b8e6471
As mentioned, please include a resume and cover letter in a combined PDF or Word file. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled. Candidate review and phone screens will be conducted on a rolling basis throughout the search period. The interview process will consist of an initial screening and two interviews, all via Zoom. Candidate finalists will also be asked to provide references.