Type of Job
Feb 19, 2021
About the job
Climate and Energy Program
Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; or Washington, DC
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
The Climate and Energy Program within UCS is a large team of scientists and analysts, along with campaign, fundraising, and communications staff, who work on science-based solutions to climate change. UCS is seeking a program associate who will help support the Climate and Energy Program with its administrative needs, including project management, scheduling, and communications. The program associate will help develop and implement systems that make communication and transparency easier between and among project teams and throughout the program. The ideal candidate is organized, reliable, flexible, and ready to help a large team function at its best.
· Provide support for various campaign activities, including planning trainings for UCS supporters, helping schedule and send email alerts, and providing administrative assistance for zoom meetings and webinars, as well as in-person events (eventually)
· Provide scheduling support and note-taking for regular meetings.
· Support project management by organizing materials, aggregating notes, and compiling next steps for project and campaign teams.
· Support the production of reports and other materials by gathering and compiling data; helping researchers keep track of their sources; and searching, organizing, fact-checking, and summarizing material such as data, photos, and graphics.
· Support organizational learning on issues of racial equity, justice, and dismantling oppression.
· Support program-wide administrative needs including set-up and management of vendor contracts, processing and tracking of invoices, and management of file storage for project and program materials.
· Support other program requirements as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
Position requires at least two years of relevant experience as an administrative, executive, or research assistant.
May spend extended periods at computer. Little to no travel is anticipated in position.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, most importantly for environmental justice/front line communities. UCS is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace culture, as well as ensuring such is reflected in our engagement with supporters, media, vendors, allies, and others.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA; Washington, DC, or Chicago, IL offices. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $45,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please apply here to upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: March 31 or until filled.