Program Assistant, Corporate Counsel
New York, NY
Type of Job
Jul 16, 2021
About the job
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant to work with the Corporate Counsel team in our New York office. The Corporate Counsel team provides in-house legal support to all NRDC programs and departments. The position will provide administrative and other support for the Corporate Counsel team, which currently consists of seven attorneys and the Corporate Counsel Administrator.
- Processes invoices and expense reports, and maintaining detailed budget trackers.
- Manages the contract process, including tracking of agreements to completion and assisting with contract-related insurance matters.
- Assists the Corporate Counsel Administrator with state charitable solicitation and business registrations.
- Assists the Corporate Counsel Administrator with lobby compliance, trademark registrations, charitable solicitation, and business registrations.
- Assists with the management of the annual conflict of interest disclosure process.
- Assists with state tax exemption certificates and applying for exemptions and renewals.
- Assists in the preparation, administration and tracking of documents relevant to employee relations matters.
- Assists with the project management and progression of employee relations matters including tracking status, scheduling meetings, collecting documents, etc.
- Assists with the maintenance of employee relations information database.
- Maintains Corporate Counsel files (i.e. Board and committee minutes and materials, document holds, informational spreadsheets and databases, etc.).
- Proofreads, formats, copies, scans, mails, faxes, and prints documents.
- Schedules meetings.
- Books travel.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One year of previous administrative or paralegal experience (or equivalent) preferred.
- Strong organizational skill with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail and follow-up.
- Ability to perform or quickly learn tasks such as those listed above.
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently execute multiple tasks, follow institutional procedures, and work independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to accuracy and rigor.
- Ability to maintain composure under deadline pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work discreetly with sensitive information.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. The job grade for this role is In House Counsel-Builds 2 with a salary range between $50,000 and $59,000. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have technical questions or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.