Program and Development Associate
Type of Job
Aug 4, 2022
About the job
MADRE is an international women's human rights organization and feminist fund that partners with community-based women's groups in Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East who face war and disaster. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are shared equitably and sustainably; women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE offers a comprehensive model of support to our grassroots partners using three interconnected strategies—grantmaking, organizational strengthening, and legal advocacy—to meet urgent needs and create opportunities for women and girls in marginalized communities to assert their agency and voice.
Using these strategies, MADRE provides long-term and flexible financial and direct service support to community-based women’s and girls’ groups who are largely under the radar of traditional philanthropy and/or where conflict or disaster have rendered them difficult to fund and challenging to reach. We work at the intersection of three program areas—Ending Gender Violence, Advancing Climate Justice, and Building a Just Peace—and across five priority communities who are disproportionately marginalized: young women and girls, Indigenous women, Afro-descendant women, LGBTIQ people, and people with disabilities.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, in MADRE’s nearly 40-year history, we have disbursed over $59 million in grants and in-kind support to organizations across the globe.
Reporting to the Program and Development Supervising Manager, the Program and Development Associate supports MADRE’s institutional fundraising program and helps develop and grow MADRE’s pipeline of prospective institutional donors, including foundation, corporate, multilateral organization, and government donors. The Program and Development Associate is responsible for assisting with all institutional funding-related activities and works collaboratively across Development and Program teams to achieve institutional funding goals and overall organizational revenue goals. The Program and Development Associate will be an integral member of the Development team.
Funder Cultivation, Stewardship, and Solicitation Support:
● Provide administrative support for the institutional fundraising program, including but not limited to:
○ Write and mail personalized grant acknowledgment letters;
○ Maintain proposal and reporting deadlines and the team’s work plan;
○ Monitor and draft email communications for institutional funders; and respond to inquiries.
○ Prepare weekly agendas for institutional team meetings; staff additional meetings across teams, as necessary.
○ Organize and maintain accurate institutional donor records in Salesforce database and ensure best practice data management. ○ Research, identify, and evaluate institutional funding prospects (e.g. routinely using Foundation Directory Online, as well as other databases and publications where
funding opportunities and Requests for Proposals are posted) and help facilitate outreach to prospects.
○ Maintain accurate and up-to-date institutional prospect pipeline, including moves management.
○ Assist in the careful review and execution of institutional funder contracts/agreements.
○ Track incoming grants and revenue, and monitor quarterly revenue with the Program and Development Supervising Manager.
● Assist the Program and Development Supervising Manager, as well as the Associate Director of Institutional Giving and the Program and Development Coordinator, in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding institutional funders through written proposals and reports, email communications, regular updates, phone calls, and Zoom meetings.
● Support the Program and Development Supervising Manager, as well as the Associate Director of Institutional Giving and the Program and Development Coordinator, to write compelling letters of inquiry, concept notes, grant proposals, and high-impact program reports and updates to institutional funders and prospects, including developing supplemental materials such as program and project budgets.
● Implement and/or support other development projects as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:
● Demonstrated commitment to women’s, girls’, and LGBTIQ human rights and MADRE’s mission.
● A Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in a related field/themes including, but not limited to: human rights; women or gender studies; international development/affairs; environment; political science, policy and/or history; however, education does not take the place of robust/relevant work experience.
● Minimum one to two years related non-profit experience, preferably in development; experience in grant writing/reporting is strongly preferred.
● Demonstrated commitment to excellence and high standards, including meticulous attention to detail and proofreading.
● Excellent oral and written communication, and ability to understand and synthesize quantitative and qualitative program information.
● Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse and broad range of individuals.
● Ability to multitask and work under pressure, as well as prioritize and organize work to effectively balance multiple assignments, set priorities, report on progress, and meet strict deadlines.
● Excels at working both independently and as part of a team; demonstrated experience in working collaboratively.
● Excellent Google Workspace and Microsoft Office skills required; proficiency in Salesforce or other similar donor databases is highly desirable.
● Additional proficiency in French, Spanish, or Arabic is a plus but not necessary to apply.
Position Location: This role requires eligibility to work in the United States. While this job may be remote anywhere inside the United States it will require occasional in-person meetings at MADRE’s headquarters in New York City. International and domestic travel may be required when the pandemic subsides.
● Salary: $60,000
● Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package offered that is robust, inclusive, and progressive.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 writing samples (professional or scholarly) to InstitutionalAssociate@madre.org. Include “Program and Development Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ people, veterans, and women are all especially encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. MADRE is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage applications, even if every one of the qualifications described is not met.