Product Development Associate
Type of Job
80,000 - 100,000
Mar 31, 2023
About the job
Product Development Associate (Hybrid)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Range: $80,000 to $100,000
Reports to: Product Manager
About the Company:
NineDot's name derives from the classic mathematical puzzle for sparking out-of-the-box solutions. As a leading community-scale, clean energy developer with a growing portfolio of projects across a range of technologies. NineDot Energy is creating innovative energy solutions that support a more resilient electric grid, deliver economic savings, address environmental justice and reduce carbon emissions.. We plan to develop, build and operate more than 400 MW of clean energy systems by 2026 that will strengthen the local power grid infrastructure and provide clean, reliable and resilient power to tens of thousands of New York households and businesses. This is all in support of New York State’s mission to achieve 100% clean energy by 2040.
With the backing of the Carlyle Group - one of the largest private investors in renewable energy - NineDot is rapidly expanding its core team to scale its energy storage pipeline and continue innovating new products (i.e. vehicle-to-grid, community energy, etc.) to advance the decarbonization of New York’s grid. This is an exciting opportunity to build a platform from the ground-up with a world-class team of developers and innovators. NineDot is committed to building a company that exemplifies diversity, equity and inclusion values in its team culture, as well as business practices and community engagement.
The Product Development Associate will be responsible for supporting the identification and development of new go-to-market strategies for NineDot’s next generation of distributed energy resource products. The Product Development Associate will seize an opportunity for new NineDot offerings made possible by the growing federal, state and local government investments and programs favoring scaled climate solutions by federal, state and local governments. They will play a lead role in prospecting, evaluating and securing new funding from both formal solicitations (e.g. Requests for Proposals/Quotations, etc) as well as unsolicited proactive offerings made possible by new market dynamics.
The majority of the Product Development Associate's time will be spent playing a lead role in prospecting, cultivating, and securing funding from federal, state and local agencies. They will be the primary author of NineDot proposals distilling their own and teammates' expertise along with the NineDot strategic market approach into a well articulated proposal narrative. As written proposals prove successful securing funding from customers and/or public sources, they will manage a smooth product launch and hand-off to the Project Development and Operations teams throughout demonstration projects' inception phase. In addition, this role will be responsible for working with staff, Director of Special Development Initiatives, and the CEO to match the company’s funding priorities with sources of various government funding.
- Research new funding and business development opportunities on a local, state and federal levels made possible from grants, loans, formal public or private procurement efforts, as well as opportunities made possible by convergence of various incentive programs
- Write clear, concise, and persuasive proposals, including budgets and other supporting documentation, in a timely manner.
- Lead Go/NoGo and addressable market analyses for new products or proposals
- Develop an outline for NineDot compliance with funding opportunities aligning self-guided research and internal and external subject matter expertise
- Contribute to a market evaluation framework for new product proposals considering various factors such as underlying technology, geography, end-customers, utility programs, permitting strategy, partners, vendors, etc.
- Report on win/loss ratios and provide recommendations for improvement
- Support the implementation phase of newly funded product lines by clearly identifying regulatory compliance and customer/funding requirements
- Take on given project management responsibilities in implementation phase of demonstration/pilot projects
- Identify and build relationships with industry leaders and research institutions to formulate and secure strategic partnerships
- All other duties as assigned
Competencies for Success
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; conducts excellent and honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Able to relate well to all individuals within and beyond the organization; builds appropriate rapport along with constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing With Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Creativity - Capable of coming up with new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly, capable of learning new skills and knowledge, good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Intellectual Horsepower - Demonstrated ability to deal with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable,and agile.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as environmental policy, sustainability, or a related area.
- 3+ years of experience in business development, product development, commercial strategy, or project finance in the renewable energy/power/utility industry
- Excellent writing and research skills, with the ability to craft compelling proposals and other written materials.
- Fundamental knowledge in renewable energy, cleantech, power markets
- Experience with Google and MS Office productivity suites
- Team player that is well-adept at working with cross-functional teams to develop and explain complex
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment and willing to step up beyond formal roles/responsibilities when “all hands on deck” situations arise
- Solid understanding of energy market concepts, and ability to lead discussions about an energy-technology and/or electricity marketplace program
- Strong knowledge of renewable energy policies and initiatives at the federal, state, and local levels.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Some of NineDot roles require that individuals be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to exemptions for medical or religious reasons, as well as any other reason required by applicable law or order. Should you be selected for an interview, your recruiter will provide additional information.