Principal Gifts Writer
Type of Job
$90,000 - $98,000
May 20, 2021
About the job
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Principal Gifts Writer to be responsible for developing effective fundraising materials aimed at donors and prospects inclined and capable of $5M+ investments in our work. This includes concept notes and proposals, reports, project budgets and narratives, and financial reports—for a range of current and prospective Principal Gifts donors, wealth advisors, fund managers, and others.
- Writing fundraising materials including concept notes, proposals, and reports in a variety of styles ranging from highly technical to personal.
- Preparing financial documents to accompany fundraising materials including proposal budgets, grant expense reports, and budget and expense report narratives.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s principal donors.
- Disseminating and synthesizing information about NRDC’s issues and programmatic work from a variety of sources and describing activities in clear and compelling language.
- Liaising with internal stakeholders in Finance, Programs, and Communications to develop fundraising materials.
- Participating in donor strategy sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 6+ years’ experience writing for a high-volume non-profit Development department.
- Strong commitment to environmental advocacy.
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated experience in developing proposals for principal gifts level donors.
- Strong analytical skills and experience working with complex budgets and expense reports.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collegial team player able to interact effectively with diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Effective in a fast-paced environment and eager to contribute to the collaborative dynamic of the department.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Strong commitment to environmental advocacy preferred.
- Shows a sensitivity, awareness, and willingness to learn and participate in the advancement of DEI required.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Job grade for this role is Solves 3 with a salary ranging from $90,000,000 to $100,000. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.