Type of Job
Apr 24, 2021
About the job
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to attend to the environmental needs of the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 32 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning $3 million non-profit that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different communities within the 176 square mile region of the Washington, D.C. metro area. The Society has a staff of 16 and is based in Bladensburg, Maryland, with additional working space in the District of Columbia.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society is invested in local areas, working with schools and students throughout Washington, D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia Watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of stormwater, bacteria, and trash.
The President of the Anacostia Watershed Society will be a visionary and strategic leader capable of leading a dedicated an enthusiastic staff toward substantive change. An able relationship builder, the President will be prominent among the community that lives along the Anacostia River and will serve as a representative for the River and AWS when key decisions affecting the Anacostia are made. Specific requirements include:
- History of leading a non-profit organization into the future through fundraising, advocacy, operations, and a clear vision for forward growth.
- Passion for the environment and ability to speak knowledgeably about issues affecting watersheds and wetland habitats.
- Understanding of the communities that live in the Anacostia Watershed; skill in working with community leaders to effect meaningful change in the lives of those living in the Watershed.
- Experience identifying and building external relationships that lead to financial opportunities for an organization.
- Experience working for an organization that advocates for change; comfortable being a strong voice at the table when impactful decisions are being made.
- Commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and appreciation for valuable diverse voices.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to oversee multiple projects and departments; strong skill in prioritizing projects.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for Anacostia Watershed Society. All of DRi's searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/. Applications can also be submitted via email to email@example.com.