Political Field Organizer (Temporary, Part-Time)
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC
Type of Job
Jun 3, 2022
About the job
Job Title: Political Field Organizer (Temporary, Part-Time)
Department: North Carolina Chapter
Location: Hybrid; Flexible within the Triangle Area: Chapel Hill, NC; Durham, NC or Raleigh, NC
Reports to: Chapter Director
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Political Field Organizer will work in advance of the November 2022 General Election to ensure the success of the NC Chapter's electoral program, which is aimed at getting more environmental champions elected to state and local office. In this role, they will recruit, train, and mobilize grassroots volunteers to use digital, door-to-door, phone banking, direct mail, and other organizing tactics to conduct community outreach, encourage voting, and educate communities on voting processes and local environmental issues. They will also provide staff support for volunteer-led PAC fundraising efforts.
Job Activities include but are not limited to:
- Get out the vote for our endorsed candidates by working with the Chapter Director, Senior Director of Government Affairs, Communications Manager, Political Program Coordinator, volunteer Political Committee, and priority campaigns across the state.
- Utilizes the Voter Action Network (VAN) and peer-to-peer data tools to recruit and motivate Sierra Club members and supporters to volunteer and vote.
- Help provide skills training, coaching and ongoing support to volunteers.
- Work with volunteers to execute text and phone banks, letter-writing campaigns, virtual and/or door to door canvassing and other GOTV activities each day.
- Coordinate with communications staff on direct mail and other tactics to build public awareness about Sierra Club's endorsed candidates.
- Meets recruitment and outreach goals (number of volunteers and voters reached and engaged) using text and phone banking, letter-writing, virtual and/or door to door canvassing and other GOTV tactics.
- Help organize community conversations about local environmental issues, voting processes and our endorsed candidates.
- Provide staff support for virtual or in-person PAC fundraising events.
- Help track and report progress to the manager and volunteer political committee.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Strong communicator with the ability to motivate others
- Experience with digital organizing and volunteer mobilization
- Familiarity with the Voter Activation Network (VAN), ThruTalk/ThruText, Hustle or similar platforms
- Comfortable and able to use use social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube), email communications, and the G-Suite of online tools to execute campaign strategy
- Driven to meet established benchmarks and deadlines
- You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills, and competencies:
- Has experience working on political campaigns and/or get out the vote efforts
- Confident self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is $20/hr for approximately 30 hours per week for 12 weeks beginning in August and ending November 14. Must be willing to work weekdays, weekday evenings, and weekends. Overnight travel using personal vehicle may be required (costs will be reimbursed).
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
This is a category 99 non-exempt, non-represented, temporary, part-time position.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee's manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. APPLY HERE: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SIERRACLUB&cws=39&rid=1982
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.