Political and Policy Associate
Santa Fe, NM
Type of Job
Aug 4, 2021
About the job
Title: Political and Policy Associate
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Political and Policy Director
Purpose & Background:
Conservation Voters New Mexico (CVNM) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Santa Fe, NM. Our vision is for New Mexicans to thrive in just, resilient communities where our conservation and cultural values guide our decision-makers and public policies. CVNM connects the people of New Mexico to their political power by mobilizing voters, winning elections, holding elected officials accountable and advancing responsible public policies.
We are seeking a full-time Political and Policy Associate to support CVNM’s political work and play an integral role in advancing statewide policies that protect our air, land, water, and wildlife. The Associate will be responsible for implementing strategies that build broad support for issue campaigns, statewide policy, and pro-conservation candidates. They will also serve as a junior lobbyist during the legislative session, and assist with coalition convenings and management.
The Political and Policy Associate must be committed to our mission and values of authentic community and stakeholder engagement in policy work, and exemplify a deep understanding and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. CVNM staff incorporate these values into our day-to-day systems and work, and provide key support for collaboration across departments and community and organizational
partnerships. The Political and Policy Associate reports to the CVNM Political and Policy Director, and collaborates closely with CVNM’s advocacy team. This position is based in Santa Fe with remote work possible for the right candidate. This position also requires the ability to work a non-standard work week including some evenings and weekends, particularly during the legislative session and/or election
season. Please note that all CVNM & CVNM Education Fund staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
● Collaborate with the Political and Policy Director and advocacy team to identify and implement strategies to meet campaign goals and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
● Assist policy staff in identifying and creating policy solutions in the state legislature that bridge the campaign with statewide policy goals of the organization, including providing information for policy overviews, engaging the public in decision-making process, and lobbying.
● Work with Communications Director and Political and Policy Director to implement earned media strategies, including press conferences, letters to the editor, and face to face meetings with reporters.
● Build relationships with key partners across the state, and identify opportunities to partner on environmental policy and engagement.
● Serve as an aide and junior lobbyist during the legislative session.
● Manage CVNM’s common agenda coalition, the Environmental Alliance of New Mexico (EANM), including convening meetings during the legislative session, and managing the EANM listserv.
● Assist Political and Policy Director in executing strategies for CVNM Action Fund, CVNM’s
Coordinated Expenditure PAC, including disseminating and tracking candidate questionnaires, and organizing activities that support CVNM’s slate of endorsed candidates.
● Comply with CVNM’s policies and procedures.
● Additional duties as assigned by the Political and Policy Director, Deputy Director of Programs, or Executive Director.
● Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue, political or labor organizing programs or campaigns, or in industries that engage the general public, like sales, customer service, or education.
● Ability to efficiently utilize databases and Excel.
● Comfortable presenting to bi-lingual and multicultural audiences, and engaging or collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
● Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of rural and/or communities of color in New Mexico.
● Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water, wildlife and community health.
● Strong understanding of how engaging the public in the political process can create policy change.
● Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends as needed.
● Ability to implement key organizing strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, public speaking and willingness to learn and implement additional strategies.
● Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required.
● Understanding of how a bill becomes a law or city/county policy processes is a plus.
● Bilingual in Spanish and/or Diné a plus.
This is a full-time exempt salaried position based on experience. CVNM also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes vacation and sick leave, a retirement package, and health, dental and vision coverage.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to Careers@CVNM.org with “Political and Policy Associate” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please. CVNM is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with CVNM is at will. If you need additional assistance to apply, please contact Careers@CVNM.org.