Policy Advisor, Midwest Region
Remote in Michigan
Type of Job
$103,400 - $114,900
Dec 21, 2022
About the job
The Midwest Regional Office partners with tribal communities and other impacted communities to fight for clean air, drinking water, and soil; we fight to protect the region’s treasures, including the Great Lakes and the pristine Boundary Waters, and the fish and wildlife that inhabit these places; we work to transform the ways that our food is grown, and power is generated, to combat climate change and provide for a healthier, more sustainable future.
The Midwest Policy Advocate will be responsible for developing and implementing both legislative and administrative strategies in Michigan, focusing on a range of environmental issues of importance to Earthjustice, our clients, and partners. The Policy Advocate will be a member of Earthjustice’s Midwest Regional Office and will be working in Lansing, Michigan. In collaboration with the Midwest team, our partners, clients, and Earthjustice’s Policy and Legislative Team, the Policy Advocate will develop and coordinate regional policy priorities. This role will communicate across Earthjustice to maximize our impact on policy priorities. As needed, the Policy Advocate will also help us identify opportunities to work with lobbyists in other Midwest states to further our policy goals. This position is remote, based in Michigan, with semi-regular travel to the Midwest Regional Office in Chicago.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups to engage on the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Bozeman, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Houston, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tallahassee, and Washington, DC.
- Develop and implement legislative and administrative strategies with the Midwest Regional Office to advance our clients’ positions on a range of environmental issues in Michigan with an eye on legislative and advocacy opportunities across the Midwest.
- Directly educate and lobby the Michigan State legislature, Governor’s Office, and key administrative agencies and commissions on priority issues.
- Track and analyze legislation relating to priority issues.
- Draft new legislation, policies, and amendments to existing laws and policies.
- Work with existing partners and clients, and cultivate new allies, partnerships, and coalitions.
- Participate in stakeholder processes convened by administrative agencies.
- Partner with Midwest Regional Office litigators to develop effective coalition strategies in support of rulemaking proceedings before administrative agencies.
- Develop advocacy materials such as letters, public comments, fact sheets, action alerts, and blogs.
- Work with our communications team on media outreach efforts on priority issues.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice on priority issues.
- Engage in city or county level work, depending on issues.
- Supervise policy advocate contractor(s) on projects in other Midwest states, including Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
- Supervise projects and other efforts performed in connection with priority legislative and administrative issues by Earthjustice attorneys, assistants, interns, or contractors.
- At least five years’ demonstrated experience working with legislative service, lobbying, and/or government relations.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Relevant advanced degree preferred.
- Proven experience working in coalition to develop and execute a lobbying campaign.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills, including experience in working with traditional and social media.
- Detail oriented and good organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work in coalitions and with allies.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with proven ability to work independently and proactively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with a diverse set of clients and partner organizations.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Ability to juggle competing demands while maintaining a cool head and sense of humor.
- Experience with state and federal environmental laws, environmental justice, and/or clean energy issues a plus.
- Multilingual skills a plus.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Compensation is based on experience and location.
Salary Range for Michigan: $103,400 - $114,900.
Applicants should submit via Jobvite by January 22, 2023:
- One to two-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and the skills you would bring to it, with particular attention to your previous legislative advocacy, campaign and coalition work.
- List of three references.
Preference will be given to candidates who apply by January 22, 2023. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.