Type of Job
Jun 2, 2022
About the job
Earthworks seeks a full-time Philanthropy Assistant to enhance the effectiveness and efficient operations of the Philanthropy Team.
The Philanthropy Assistant reports directly to the Philanthropy Director and supports the raising of funds to advance Earthworks’ mission through building a culture of philanthropy. Earthworks raises more than $8 million annually from foundations and individual donors. This job provides a great opportunity to start a career by learning about all aspects of fundraising and nonprofit management.
- Provides administrative support to the Philanthropy Director and the Philanthropy Team, including maintaining team files, documenting team policies and practices, scheduling and calendar management, and travel and meeting logistics
- Ensures smooth communications within the team and between the Philanthropy Team and other Earthworks departments
- Supports the Philanthropy Director with planning and evaluation activities, project coordination, and managing special projects
- Helps coordinate the Board of Directors’ Philanthropy Committee
- Provides excellent customer service to donors, including answering Earthworks’ main telephone line and responding to public inquiries via email and mail
- Processes incoming donations and prepares mail merges, acknowledgement letters, and donation receipts
- Prepares correspondence and donor communications materials
- Supports the implementation of fundraising campaigns
- Plans donor events
- Assists with donor prospect research
- Manages data entry and maintains data quality and hygiene in Salesforce donor database, including creating segmented donor mailing lists
- Tracks fundraising metrics
- Coordinates with the Finance and Operations Team around income reconciliation, invoices, timesheets, receipts, credit card statements, expense reports, and provides required donation documentation
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, problem-solver
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaborate with colleagues working remotely across multiple time zones
- Good computer skills, with experience desired using Microsoft Office, the Google suite of office applications, Adobe Acrobat, and CRMs
- Good judgment and respect for ethical and confidentiality guidelines
- Commitment to equity and justice
- Prior experience providing high quality customer service
- 1-3 years of prior administrative experience is desirable
- Prior fundraising experience is preferred, but not required
- Data analytics and Salesforce skills a plus
BENEFITS AND SALARY
The salary for this position is $55,000 for candidates with up to 3 years of relevant prior work experience. Benefits include full health, vision, and dental coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus a partially employer funded HSA), paid vacation, disability and life insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, and a retirement plan with a 5% employer match after one year. Additionally, after 7 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month, fully paid sabbatical.
Earthworks has a Washington, DC headquarters that allows for a hybrid work environment. While residence in the greater Washington, DC, area is preferable, candidates will be considered from anywhere in the United States, as this job can be performed remotely.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Earthworks requires all those hired to provide proof of full vaccination (vaccination and booster) against COVID-19. New hires who have disabilities that make the vaccine medically inadvisable or those who have a sincere religious belief that the vaccine is impermissible may request an accommodation by contacting Lezlie Griffin, Director of Talent and Equity, at email@example.com. Accommodation will be provided only as required by applicable law.
We’re looking for the right folks to help us in our mission to stand with communities to protect the environment from the destructive impacts of mineral development, in the U.S. and worldwide.
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks’ Board and staff understand that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.careers-page.com/earthworks-2/job/L93XRY5Y by June 30, 2022. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample (such as a blog post or professional letter, one page or less). No phone calls please.