Permian Communications Manager
Type of Job
Oct 11, 2021
About the job
Are you passionate about working with communities to fight pollution? Do you want to be part of the growing movement to defend the global climate and public health and hold corporations and governments accountable? Are you excited about using media and communications tools to shed a spotlight on injustice?
Join the Earthworks team as Permian Communications Manager. Earthworks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to working with communities to protect health, climate and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction while promoting sustainable solutions.
Earthworks’ Permian Communications Manager will create and manage communications initiatives in support of our energy program priorities in the Permian Basin of Texas/New Mexico (America’s top oil producing region and forecast to have the greatest production increase) and downstream through Texas to the Gulf Coast including Louisiana. In doing so they will raise the profile of our program priorities and our organization with key audiences, including affected communities, grassroots and grasstops activists, government decision makers, corporations, and domestic and international media.
The Permian Communications Manager will work with our field team–which works most closely with communities affected by “upstream” oil and gas production–and our infrastructure team– which focuses on “downstream” oil and gas facilities including pipelines, export terminals, and petrochemical facilities.
Together you will publicize affected communities’ stories so that companies and decision makers -- domestically and internationally -- are forced to address the problem.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Earthworks is committed to advancing and empowering leadership from frontline affected communities and maintaining solid relationships with diverse partners to advance program goals. The Communications Manager will report to Earthworks’ Director of Strategic Communication as part of a 3 person energy communications team supporting the energy team, which includes federal policy experts and a field team primarily active in California, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.
Apply Online: https://www.careers-page.com/earthworks-2
- Manage all communications efforts for Earthworks Energy Program in the Permian Basin, Texas, and Louisiana; serve as Earthworks communications lead in various aligned campaign coalitions
- Lead the development and execution of a “Permian to Gulf Coast” communications plan
- Working with program staff, take the lead in generating earned media that advances our energy program goals and our partners’ priorities by writing and posting press releases, blogs, op-eds, etc.; develop and maintain relationships with key reporters, outlets, and media allies, and work with the communications team to maintain organizational relationships with the media
- Working with program and communications staff, lead development of creative video and print content to achieve our programmatic goals;
- Provide communications support as needed to frontline community partners, including helping them be more effective public spokespeople;
- With the Energy Communications Manager and Corporate Accountability Communications Campaigner, assist the Strategic Communications Director in developing communications strategy and messaging for the Energy Program;
- Working with the Digital Engagement Coordinator and other staff on strategic placement of paid advertisements on appropriate platforms (e.g. newspapers, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc)
- Work with the Digital Engagement Coordinator and the Development Team to ensure Energy Program activities are regularly and effectively highlighted on Earthworks’ social media presence and website;
- With team members, provide support and content for communication through our online activism and advocacy platform, printed materials, fundraising materials, public presentations, and internal communications;
- Share organizational responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace;
- In line with our Principles of Community Engagement, work to elevate the voices of communities on the frontlines of energy development;
- Report to the Strategic Communications Director regularly on activities, plans, and outcomes.
- At least 5 years of communications experience working to achieve social and environmental change with an advocacy nonprofit or similar;
- Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues in support of community relationship building, grassroots organizing, and policy change;
- Commitment and experience working with frontline communities;
- Excellent written communications skills;
- Excellent oral communication skills;
- Excellent social media skills;
- Tech savvy;
- Ability to travel.
The salary for this position is competitive for small to medium non-profits ranging from $65,000 to $75,000 depending on experience. Benefits include full health and dental coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus a partially-employer-funded HSA) and a Simple 403b retirement plan with an employer match. Additionally, after 7 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Although we have a slight preference for someone who lives in the Permian or Gulf Coast regions, the right candidate could be 100% remote if they are able to travel.
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks’ Board and staff understand that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.
Apply Online: https://www.careers-page.com/earthworks-2. Please include a letter of interest, two relevant writing samples, links to blogs, Op-Eds, social media handles, websites, or any other online presence that highlights your experience. Position is open until filled. No phone calls please.