Pennsylvania Seasonal Reforestation Specialist
Type of Job
Aug 10, 2023
About the job
This position will work on the Alliance’s Forest Team, focusing on field components of reforestation and
outreach projects in Pennsylvania. These roles require strong organizational and time management skills,
careful attention to detail, the ability to form strong relationships and work collaboratively with a variety of
audiences. This position will involve extensive fieldwork including planting and maintaining reforestation
sites and training volunteers. Candidates can expect a fast-paced work environment and almost all roles to
be in the field, so outdoor savviness is essential.
Specific Duties of this Position:
● Assist with reforestation projects in the field, including planting, maintenance, and monitoring
● Assist with reforestation logistics, planting supply organization, and tool upkeep
● Coordinate and train volunteers (in large groups and individually) on project sites
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in forestry, wildlife biology, natural resources management, biology, environmental
science, or a relevant field; or 1+ year relevant professional experience related to the tasks of this position.
● Plant identification experience, preferably native and invasive plants of the mid-Atlantic
● Ability to work outside, sometimes in harsh conditions and long days, and occasional weekend work.
● Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds of weight
● Quick learner, well-organized, possess strong attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of
diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical
abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral
to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and
program delivery. The Alliance believes a broad base of participation and partners reflecting all of society is
needed to be successful in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed restoration effort. Visit
www.allianceforthebay.org/DEI to learn more.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed
to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet at
least 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The Pennsylvania Seasonal Reforestation Specialist will report directly to the Forests Projects
Hours and Location: The Pennsylvania Seasonal Reforestation Specialist will be based at the Alliance’s
Lancaster, Pennsylvania office. Some night and weekend work may be required, and travel throughout the
Chesapeake Bay watershed is needed at times. The position advertised is full-time (40 hours per week).
Term of employment: September 25, 2023 to December 15, 2023. There is some flexibility regarding the
term start date.
Wages and Benefits: This is a temporary, hourly position, for up to 40 hours per week during the term. The
Pennsylvania Seasonal Reforestation Specialist will be paid at $18 per hour, and reimbursed for approved
project expenses such as travel to and from project sites.
Application: Please email your résumé, and answers to the following questions to
email@example.com no later than Sunday, August 27, 2023. Indicate “Pennsylvania Seasonal
Reforestation Specialist” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.
1) What is your experience in planting vegetation, especially trees, and
2) What is your experience working and/or recreating outdoors?