Type of Job
Oct 25, 2023
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state and territorial affiliates and more than seven million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
This position is a member of the Finance Disbursements Team reporting to the Payroll Manager and is primarily responsible for providing backup and support for the payroll function by performing administrative tasks in the HCM system UKG-UltiPro. In addition to this responsibility, this position will include recurring basic accounting tasks and other payroll related projects as assigned. This position will be trained as a payroll processing backup to the Payroll Manager and requires familiarity with payroll systems. Adherence to the National Wildlife Federations (NWF) established policies, procedures and internal controls is a must, this position is detail oriented and requires excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Administrative tasks in UltiPro including data entry, fulfilling report requests, timekeeping support and research for problem resolution
- Prepare Excel templates for to assist with payroll related monthly journal entries
- Track tax correspondence and log tax support cases with UKG as needed. Downloading and saving tax resolution reports and quarterly tax filings
- Track new hires and staff relocations in a multistate environment, record on spreadsheet
- Provide payroll and timekeeping reports for the Restricted Revenue team and other areas of Finance
- Prepare State and Federal Department of Labor and Workers Compensation surveys
- Prepare various reports for Financial and Workers Compensation audits
- Maintain excel spreadsheet for tracking fringe benefit expenses
- Assist in implementation and roll out of payroll and timekeeping system functionality
- Assist with quarterly and year-end payroll tax reconciliations
- Assist with W2 processing
- Other related duties as assigned
- 2 years of college in a business administrative or accounting related field (American Payroll Association courses preferred), or equivalent years of relevant work experience.
- 1-3 years of end to end Payroll processing experience, and general knowledge and understanding of payroll compliance and best practice
- Familiarity with payroll software and various payroll data entry
- Strong general math skills and knowledge of basic accounting
- Experience with or ability to learn UKG-UltiPro payroll and timekeeping software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Ability to learn Infor CloudSuite Financials and MHC
- Must be organized with strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Must maintain complete confidentiality of Payroll and People information
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing tasks
- Ability to meet schedules and deadlines
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized.
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions.
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them.
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s required equity competencies at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Location and Work Mode:
This position is based out of our Headquarters in Reston, VA. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in the office, in a hybrid manner, or completely remotely, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process. For more information on Work Modes, please review the benefits section of our careers page: https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position $60,000-$70,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits, and by Forbes as one of America’s best small employers! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume.
For more information on our recruiting process, please review our Careers page: https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.