Cambridge, MA (remote work possible)
Type of Job
Feb 15, 2022
About the job
Union of Concerned Scientists
Cambridge, MA (remote work possible)
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
Payroll/Benefit Administrator is responsible for oversight and processing payroll, administration of all benefits, reconciliations of all payroll/benefits related accounts, responsible for 403(b) audits, assisting in preparing audit schedules related to payroll and benefits, and backup/support for staff accountants. This position must maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality for UCS financial and personnel information.
· Vigilance and perfect execution in regard to all HR compliance including ERISA, HIPAA, DOL, FMLA, STATE LAWS, FLSA, EEO1, Federal laws and all general laws governing Human Resources. Working in close communication with People and Culture Team.
· Ensures compliance with payroll/benefits policies and procedures and with regulatory and reporting requirements.
· Ensures compliance with U.S. Federal, state and local laws.
· Remain current on new legislation and regulatory ruling impacting payroll and benefits
· Responsible for benefits orientations for new hires.
· Processes all benefit enrollments and changes and invoices related to benefits.
· Responsible for administration and compliance of all benefits.
· Updates and maintains employee benefit program in the payroll/HR system and benefit plan deduction calculation.
· Tracks and administrates leave time for all employees out on FMLA in coordination with People and Culture team.
· Answers employee inquiries about benefits.
· Responsible for the semi-monthly pension calculation and transmission.
· Responsible for 403B audit.
· Partner with People and Culture team in aligning and implementing a more sophisticated payroll and benefits system.
· Encourage and implement continuous improvement measures within Payroll.
· Responsible for creating and maintaining individual time tracking sheets.
· Responsible for collection of all-time tracking sheets.
· Create and maintain reports for time tracking by project, hours worked and time out of the office.
· Recording bank transactions for all benefits.
· Processing checks related to payroll and benefits.
· Preparing and recording payroll journal entries.
· Responsible for reconciliation of all payroll and benefits accounts.
· Assist in preparing audit schedules related to payroll and benefits.
· Emergency backup and support for Staff accountants (AP and Concur).
· Maintains high level of customer service by communicating with all levels of employees and working with other departments and managers to meet functional objectives.
· Constant knowledge gathering for compliance updates and laws.
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s in Business Accounting or equivalent required. The position requires supreme accuracy and confidentiality in this position. Five to seven years of comparable and relevant accounting experience including Benefits and Payroll. Good organizational skills, spreadsheet software and word processing are required. Must have superior communication skills; both written and oral. Experience with PayCom Payroll and Reporting is preferred. Detail oriented, ability to multi-task, prioritization skills, and manage multiple deadlines. Demonstrates effective communication skills. Ability to work well on a team, critical thinking skills, creativity, and desire to learn and grow with a commitment to process improvements and excellence. Flexibility in specific job duties and responsibilities, willingness to tackle additional tasks as necessary. Adaptable to current operating systems in place required. Knowledgeable of general accepted accounting principles (GAAP) is required for cross functional teamwork.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office with remote work possible. Salary is commensurate with experience. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic our staff are working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. https://apply.workable.com/j/4919FD3893
Deadline: Until filled