Park Manager I
Type of Job
Aug 19, 2022
About the job
To Apply Please Visit - https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mncppc/jobs/3679093/park-manager-i-13601-grade-18
- Are you a crew leader, supervisor, or manager wanting to take on a challenge?
- Are you creative and intuitive in your approach to multitasking?
- Do you enjoy using technology to seek out efficiencies, and thrive on cultivating talent on your team?
If this sounds like you, The Montgomery County Department of Parks – Northern Parks Division is the place you want to be! We are currently seeking a knowledgeable, dynamic, highly organized and professional Park Manager in Derwood, MD at Rock Creek Regional Park.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner. The Montgomery County Department of Parks has a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, and we serve a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington, DC area. We manage 421 parks on more than 37,000 acres of parkland. Go to our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/
The Rock Creek Management Area is made up of 28 parks. These parks cover 6,443 acres and include a Regional Park, a Recreational Park, Local Parks, Conservation Parks, Neighborhood Parks, a Special Park, 14 athletic fields, and 32.5 miles of trails. Under the supervision of the Senior Park Manager, this role performs a wide variety of management responsibilities for park maintenance operations within the Rock Creek Management Area. The selected candidate will supervise park operations staff; plan, develop, coordinate program support and maintenance projects at various parks; develop and oversee maintenance plans for landscape, athletic fields, grounds, and custodial maintenance within a geographical area.
This is an entry level position in the Park Manager series and will be the liaison for Park Maintenance Leaders to the Senior Manager. The selected candidate will be responsible to lead a team to ensure park areas are safe, clean, attractive, and provide passive and active recreational opportunities for citizens and visitors.
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Examples of Important Duties
- Work with other Park Managers to define goals and objectives for park operations programs and facilities within the geographical area.
- Plan and coordinate projects, review plans, determine scope and resources.
- Inspect work to ensure conformance with instructions and engineering plans.
- Supervise and lead diverse park operation programs that include landscaping, athletic field renovation, play equipment inspection and repair, wildlife management, park inspections, etc.
- Manage Integrated Pest Management program.
- Maintain maintenance standards.
- Implement emergency response program.
- Monitor parkland for environmental integrity.
- Recommend and implement corrective actions for environmental problem areas.
- Plan, schedule, and assign duties to a diverse team.
- Collaborate with recruitment, selection, and training of staff.
- Develop and approve performance evaluations.
- Initiate recognition and disciplinary action.
- Approve timecards and leave requests.
- Meet with community groups, park and recreation councils, and citizens to identify needs, plan programs, solve problems about park operations.
- Handles inquiries and complaints from the general public.
- Allocates vital resources (staff and budget) to achieve a successful program.
- Assists in preparing and provides input to annual budget request for assigned area.
- Acquire informal bids, price quotations, and develops specifications for formal bids.
- Identify equipment, materials, and supplies needed to fulfill projects.
- Monitors contractors and approve payments.
- Supervise documentation and maintain administrative records, for expenditures, timecards, inventory, accidents, and injuries.
- Write work and special reports, as required.
- Attend conferences to identify new programs, methods, and equipment.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Ability to promote a work culture that improves communication, understanding and empathy.
- Dedication to building a cohesive unit, through staff development and mentoring.
- Consistent record keeping and data collection, statistics, data analytics.
- Managerial and financial skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other web/mobile applications.
- Strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of local, State, and Federal laws and policies.
- Written, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with a Parks Department or other government organization preferred.
- Advanced ArcGIS skills and proficient in MS Office, enterprise software and specialized software.
- Ability to communicate in another language a plus.
Position requires a combination of field and office work. Work conditions may include exposure to dust, vibration, noise, chemicals, dirt, waste, odors, pesticides, wildlife, potential harmful insects (for example, bees, hornets, wasps, etc.) as well as exposure to adverse weather conditions (heat, cold, snow, rain, etc.). An essential employee for on-call 24 hours for emergencies.
Must be available to work weekends and evenings as necessary.
1. Bachelor's degree in park management/administration, outdoor recreation, natural sciences, or a related field and one year of park management experience that included supervision and leadership of a staff; or
2. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Valid driver's license.
4. Additionally, contingent upon area of assignment, some positions in this class may require:
a. Commercial Driver's License with appropriate endorsements upon appointment, or the ability to acquire one within six months.
b. Maryland Department of Agriculture Pesticide Applicator's certification in the categories appropriate to the work assignment.
c. Certification by the National Playground Safety Institute.
Classification Specification Park Manager I
Get to know Montgomery Parks and the opportunities available:https://www.montgomeryparks.org/about/divisions/
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Very competitive and flexible benefits programs available!
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.