Outreach and Communications Manager
Type of Job
Commensurate with experience
Apr 30, 2021
About the job
Position Title: Outreach & Communications Manager - Coalition of Delaware River Watershed
Department: Government Relations
Location: Trenton, NJ - Remote due to COVID-19
Reports to: Director of Coalition of Delaware River Watershed
Job Classification: Full time (40-hour week)
Job Description: The Outreach & Communications Manager will work to advance the conservation agenda of New Jersey Audubon (NJA) through the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed (Coalition). General responsibilities include working to increase awareness and engagement of member organizations, coalition partners, and the public through effective communications. The Outreach & Communications Manager will play a key role in managing the Coalition’s external communications, developing communications tools and strategies to advance policy priorities, interacting with media, and contributing to the overall operations of the Coalition and the NJA Government Relations team.
· Oversee internal and external communications on behalf of the Coalition, including digital messaging, member engagement, and media relations in coordination with the Director of the Coalition
· Develop a broad understanding of the mission, activities, and accomplishments of the Coalition and NJA
· Lead the development and implementation of communications strategies to help improve the Coalition’s web and social media presence
· Produce a variety of digital communications including regular blog posts, social media content, and e-newsletters
· Work with NJA Communications staff and consultants to prepare blogs, press releases, letters to the editor, and opinion pieces and securing media coverage pertaining to NJA’s conservation and the Coalition’s agenda
· Produce a suite of communications tools to assist Coalition member organizations, including sample op-eds and letters to the editor, communications trainings, and other materials
· Engage in grassroots outreach, communications, and organizing as needed to support the Coalition’s agenda
· Identify media stories and relevant current events that can be leveraged to support the organization’s work and outreach efforts
· Maintain the Coalition’s external profile through its website, social media accounts, and other platforms
· Assist with legislative and advocacy activities as needed
· Participate with other staff towards daily operations at the assigned work location
· Represent the Coalition and NJA at external meetings and events as needed
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
· Four-year degree and[JF1] at least 2-3 years of relevant work experience
· Demonstrated experience in strategic policy/advocacy communications
· Excellent computer skills – Microsoft Office, including Social Media Skills
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of their responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and special needs of the department and the organization[JF2]
· May need to work occasional nights and/or weekends
· Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces and lift up to 50 lbs.as needed for programs and events
· Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle in NJ.
Starting Date: Immediate
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: This position will remain open until filled
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and a short writing sample (maximum 4 pages) as a single PDF document, listing job position in subject line, to .
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.