Outdoor Education Field Instructor
Type of Job
$2669/month plus housing
May 16, 2023
About the job
Summary: Field Instructors at Cal-Wood lead small groups of students hiking in the Rocky Mountains-- exploring nature, teaching science, playing games and supporting youth development. The ideal candidate will love the outdoors no matter the weather, enjoy the company of children of all ages (primarily grades 3-8th grade) and want to hone their hands-on teaching skills. We are seeking cheerful and adaptable individuals to bring fresh ideas and positive vibes to our small team of amazing educators (10-15). Does this sound fun? Apply here with a resume and cover letter. This full time permanent position starts August 7, 2023. Salary plus housing.
Cal-Wood Education Center is seeking positive and adaptable applicants for an exciting and rewarding field instructor position. Instructors are responsible for providing a fun and educational experience for a learning group made up of 10-15 students, leading outdoor recreation and teaching environmental science lessons. We offer 2-4 day programs for grades 3-8th. Position runs August 7, 2023, through June 1, 2024, with the possibility to extend for the summer and additional seasons. Summer and winter responsibilities may include serving as counselor for summer camps or family camps, facilitating outdoor recreation such as fishing, archery, snowshoeing and hiking with diverse groups, and helping to maintain trails, facilities, educational materials and gear room. There may be the opportunity to take unpaid time off in the winter (mid December through mid February) and summer (June-July) depending on program schedules. We pay a monthly salary and provide shared housing with a private room in Jamestown, CO.
Our field instructors enjoy working in our beautiful 1,200-acre outdoor classroom with a team of other motivated individuals passionate about the outdoors, natural science, and education. We provide access to dynamic, hands-on science education in the field to students from all different backgrounds.
- Lead a learning group made up of 10-15 students during each school’s visit. Typical programs run 2-4 days with 4th – 6th graders.
- Spend 4-8 hours/day, 3-5 days/week, leading programs outside in all seasons in the mountains of Colorado.
- Design, teach, and evaluate environmental education programs in accordance with local curriculum standards.
- Incorporate science, math, history, creative writing, art and team building into programs as requested by school.
- Lead large group games, songs, skits, storytelling and campfires to ensure a positive, fun atmosphere for kids.
- Facilitate 1-2 meals (breakfasts and/or dinners) and 1-2 night programs (typically a night hike or campfire) each week.
- Assist with cleaning and maintenance of program staff commons area, educational materials, gear room, and staff office/lounge.
- Help the team keep Cal-Wood safe, comfortable and welcoming by setting up shade canopies, delivering water to groups in the field, building fires in the lodge and warming huts, shoveling snow, etc.
- Occasional projects in the field to help with forest fire mitigation, forest restoration and trail maintenance.
Note: Instructors do not sleep in cabins with students during school programs.
Qualities and Qualifications:
- High level of personal motivation for continued learning, positive attitude and flexibility are necessary to meet the demands of a dynamic residential work schedule.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, natural resource management, education, outdoor education, or other related field.
- One or more years of teaching experience.
- Work and live with a small team of other motivated and passionate staff to support operations of a small non-profit organization. Instructional staff is about 10-15 people.
- Happy to live in a small mountain town, 20 minutes from Boulder, CO. You will thrive here if you have independent hobbies and love the outdoors.
- Ability to pass background checks.
- Ability to hike 1-4 miles daily, lift heavy objects, and maintain a positive attitude outdoors in all weather conditions.
- First Aid/CPR knowledge or willingness to get certified required. Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certifications are a plus.
- Spanish ability is highly desired, but not mandatory.
- $2669/monthly plus housing.
- Housing provided nearby in Jamestown. Private room. Meals available when working programs.
- Insurance available: 75% of health insurance premium covered by Cal-Wood. 100% dental insurance. 100% vision.
- 100% life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment premium
- Retirement plan
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation
Apply here: https://calwood.bamboohr.com/careers/45?source=aWQ9Mjc%3D
Contact Stephanie Dobbie with questions. email@example.com