Organizing Manager Chispa Maryland
Type of Job
Mar 1, 2021
About the job
General Description: Maryland League of Conservation Voters (Maryland LCV) and Maryland League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (Maryland LCV EF) are hiring an Organizing Manager for its Chispa Maryland program. Maryland LCV EF launched Chispa Maryland in 2014, a grassroots community organizing program to ensure Latinx families have strong leadership and power to identify and influence environmental and public health policies and decisions that affect their lives. Since then, Chispa Maryland has established itself as one of few environmental programs in the state with a strong and diverse grassroots community that is growing in capacity. Chispa Maryland has established relationships with environmental and social justice groups, and our volunteers and activists have become environmental leaders that have taken numerous actions to protect the health of their families and communities from environmental hazards such as harmful chemicals and air and water pollution.
The Chispa Maryland Organizing Manager will advance the priorities of Maryland LCV/EF by leading a team in designing and implementing organizing campaigns at the intersection of climate, justice, and equity. The ideal candidate will have experience in program management, base and partnerships building, and leadership development. This position will report to the Deputy Executive Director and will work in close collaboration with other members of the staff.
- Work with Maryland LCV/EF staff and community partners to develop organizing campaigns that build a strong and diverse base of community volunteers, activists, and leaders;
- Develop work plans and lead and supervise Chispa Maryland’s organizing team in designing grassroots strategies, tactics and tools that recruit and develop new members into leaders who can advance community-centered campaigns that result in legislative victories;
- Coach program staff and community leaders through trainings and mentoring;
- Ensure organizers and leaders have the appropriate resources to design and implement strategies and tactics to support Chispa Maryland’s campaigns;
- Build transformational relationships with other environmental justice and social justice groups to advance a common agenda centered in community priorities and focused on environmental justice;
- Develop metrics,tracking systems and structures that provide strong clarity and accountability for program staff, community leaders and program/campaign goals;
- Assist in fundraising efforts to support Chispa Maryland through information sharing and developing proposal and report content;
- Represent and advocate on behalf of the organization during outreach events, legislative and advocacy meetings, and other opportunities;
- Minimum 5 years experience working on community, field or labor organizing at the local level, including direct supervisory and leadership development experience;
- Deep knowledge of community organizing and movement building. Must also have experience developing, overseeing and tracking issue campaigns driven by community organizing;
- Strong coaching, training and facilitation skills, and experience developing and elevating leaders from communities of color;
- Self-motivated and works comfortably in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing the quality of work, reliable and consistent, and works both independently and in team settings;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual in English and Spanish;
- Experience working with Latinx communities and communities of color in Maryland highly preferred.
- Knowledge of Every Action, VAN and Google Workspace and Office suite is a plus.
The ideal candidate also has:
- A deep commitment to equity and justice issues and an understanding of how issues of racial and economic justice impact Latino and other communities of color in Maryland;
- A demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity and an understanding and awareness of differing identities;
- The ability to work across gender, race, ethnicity, socio-economic backgrounds and other identity lines;
- A shared commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture;
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
Salary and Compensation: Competitive non-profit salary range depending on qualifications and experience. The salary is accompanied by a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off, and a 401K plan with an employer match.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the organization is working from home. Outside of the pandemic the position is based in Annapolis with telecommuting options. The Chispa Maryland Organizing Manager reports to the Deputy Executive Director.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and salary range to Ramon Palencia-Calvo at with Chispa Maryland Organizing Manager in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled. Ideal start date is April 2021.
Maryland LCV, a 501(c)(4) organization activates Marylanders to promote and pass equitable laws and policies for clean water, healthy air and a resilient climate. We hold elected officials accountable, and educate and endorse candidates for public office. The Maryland LCV Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports and amplifies a diverse and inclusive environmental movement across the state. Through outreach and education, the Education Fund supports communities disproportionately impacted by environmental injustices and builds grassroots field capacity for legislative advocacy and environmental issues. The Maryland LCV PAC is the organization that directly helps elect pro-conservation candidates.
Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Ed Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.