Type of Job
Low to mid $40Ks depending on level of experience
Jun 8, 2022
About the job
The Anacostia Watershed Society seeks an enthusiastic, highly organized, and self-motivated Operations Administrator to provide administrative and organizational support to ensure smooth, efficient, and effective daily business operations. This full-time, non-exempt, mid-level position will have a wide-range of responsibilities, will work at the office on a daily basis, and will play a primary role in ensuring that office administrative functions are coordinated and administered to achieve a high level of productivity. We are looking for a multi-tasker with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, some office operations, finance, computer technology, or human resources experience, and an upbeat and helpful attitude to provide general administrative, clerical, reception, and other organizational-wide operational support.
The Operations Administrator is a critical part of the Operations Team, and will work closely with the Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer (COO), and collaboratively with the President/Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Board of Directors, as well as other staff and volunteers to administer and support business operations across the organization.
The Operations Administrator is an integral part of the organization and will be an exciting opportunity to contribute to the watershed’s restoration and the engagement of diverse communities, partners, and other stakeholders to deliver on our mission to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed by bringing partners and communities together to achieve a clean and safe Anacostia River for the benefit of all living in its watershed and for future generations.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 30 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning non-profit, with an annual budget of $3 million, that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different Washington, D.C. metro area communities within the 176 square-mile watershed.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society works with schools and students throughout Washington, D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia River watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of stormwater, bacteria, and trash.
- Provide administrative support in the daily business operations of the organization and serve as an organizational resource and contact for:
- Finances (general accounting and bookkeeping duties)
- Human Resources (employee recruitment, training, onboarding, and retention etc.)
- Information Technology (basic trouble shooting, system operations, etc.)
- Office Operations (upkeep, organization, supplies, record retention, policies, safety, etc.).
- Complete a broad variety of general operational administrative and clerical tasks to support the Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer and perform other general administrative and clerical tasks as assigned and requested by the COO and CEO. This includes tasks such as:
- Board and Committee/Task Force support (minutes, meeting scheduling and logistics, Board manual, filing, and records, etc.)
- Planning, coordinating, scheduling, and providing logistical and other support for operational meetings/events and organization-wide events and associated tasks as assigned (staff meetings, board and staff retreats, executive meetings and appointments, team building, etc.)
- Assisting with employee, Board, and volunteer recognition; copying, filing, scanning, shared drive organization; etc.
- Resource management: Procure, maintain, retain and/or dispose of office inventory, supplies, office records, operating machines, and other systems and equipment. Coordinate and manage Canoe/Kayak Rack Rentals. Collaborate and assist in the organization’s overall facilities and resources inventory and management.
- Reception and relationship management: Greet office guests, maintain positive and professional staff and client relationships, answer phones, monitor and manage general info account inquiries, and monitor and ensure compliance with office safety practices.
- Participate in other special projects, organization-wide efforts, and tasks as assigned.
· Interest and/or experience in business operations, office administration, or clerical work; and demonstrated knowledge, commitment, and passion for environmental sustainability and environmental justice.
· Highly organized and detail-oriented self-starter and multi-tasker. Ability to plan, prioritize, manage peak periods of activity, and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
· Effective problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making abilities; ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including persuasive and effective communication that forwards the purpose and mission of the organization.
· Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to providing outstanding customer service internally and externally to diverse audiences.
· Uphold a strict level of confidentiality.
· Self-motivation, innovation, resourcefulness, and collaborative team player.
· A strong and active interest in learning and personal growth, including actively and reflectively pursuing growing self-awareness and receiving feedback from colleagues.
· Willing, motivated, and able to work a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and weekends. This job is primarily office based, but will include some occasional work in the field, outside in variable weather, travel, and driving to sites and for errands.
· Physical work may be required (i.e. ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds).
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
· Relevant administrative experience in an office or business setting. Additional experience in bookkeeping, human resources, office management, or computer technology preferred.
· Relevant education preferred to include High School/GED diploma and any additional credentialing is a plus.
· Excellent computer skills and proficiency with office technology. Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is a definite plus.
· Demonstrated commitment to serving and supporting the diverse communities of the Anacostia Watershed; bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
· We partner with and support multiple people in the communities we serve, and, therefore, require COVID-19 vaccination for all AWS staff.
We are offering a competitive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary and benefits package.
Salary range is in the low to mid $40Ks depending on level of experience.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and résumé formally expressing your interest to email@example.com.
AWS encourages and embraces diversity.
We seek qualified applicants that reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve.